The Student Room Group

University selection for MSc Management

I have four offers for MSc Management from University of Birmingham, University of Leeds, University of Bath and Cranfield University. I am very confused in choosing which uni to pick. I have checked the modules of the course and they are almost all the same. I have also spoken to alumni and students currently studying there. They have all given positive reviews of their respective universities.
How would you guys rank these universities? Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by _omsixer_
I have four offers for MSc Management from University of Birmingham, University of Leeds, University of Bath and Cranfield University. I am very confused in choosing which uni to pick. I have checked the modules of the course and they are almost all the same. I have also spoken to alumni and students currently studying there. They have all given positive reviews of their respective universities.
How would you guys rank these universities? Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ever heard of self selection bias?
"Do you like the university that you studied at?"
"Of course!"

I have heard good things about Bath's business school, so that's going to be my first choice.
Birmingham and Leeds are joint second.

Note, only Birmingham and Leeds are Russell Group unis, if that matters at all.

Disclaimer:
I have not been to these universities, so I can't give you a comprehensive judgement.
Just because I ranked them in such a way, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will enjoy the particular course at that particular uni, get certain employment opportunities, etc.
These are my opinions alone; it doesn't mean I am necessarily correct nor does it mean that people won't disagree

Do you have any preference for specific subjects in the degrees? What do you intend to do after the degree?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Ever heard of self selection bias?
"Do you like the university that you studied at?"
"Of course!"

I have heard good things about Bath's business school, so that's going to be my first choice.
Birmingham and Leeds are joint second.

Note, only Birmingham and Leeds are Russell Group unis, if that matters at all.

Disclaimer:
I have not been to these universities, so I can't give you a comprehensive judgement.
Just because I ranked them in such a way, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will enjoy the particular course at that particular uni, get certain employment opportunities, etc.
These are my opinions alone; it doesn't mean I am necessarily correct nor does it mean that people won't disagree

Do you have any preference for specific subjects in the degrees? What do you intend to do after the degree?

Thanks a lot for replying! I have a much better idea now.
What is your opinion on Cranfield? It ranks quite high according to QS subject rankings. But I’m a bit sceptical because of its location.
Also, I’ve heard good things about bath’s business school. However, as it’s not a Russel group uni, I have some doubts towards it.
I intend on working as a management consultant after completing the degree
(edited 1 year ago)
What is your opinion on Cranfield? It ranks quite high according to QS subject rankings. But I’m a bit sceptical because of its location.
Also, I’ve heard good things about bath’s business school. However, as it’s not a Russel group uni, I have some doubts towards it.

Cranfield is a good uni for business, but I find their options somewhat limiting (even though a management degree is by defintion a jack of all trades). I think it's more known for its engineering courses.

Russell Group is a designation given to universities for their quality of research. The rating is provided by a third party. Unless you intend to go into research, I don't think it would matter that much (you might want a second opinion on this). Some people consider this grouping overrated and unnecessary. I can't particularly comment on this since I don't following the technicalities that closely.

As far as I know, you can go into management consulting without an MSc in management (you strictly speaking don't need any qualifications to go into it, but you can often apply to big name firms with just a bachelor's).
Again, as far as I know, you often get jobs in management consulting based on who you know (or who knows you if you got a strong reputation). Employers who hire management consultants tend not to care about what degree(s) their candidates did as opposed to whether they have strong people skills. If the university you go to is targeted or has good connections with people in the industry, then it's a leg up. You might want to speak to existing management consultants just to double check on this.

If you don't have existing management knowledge and prefer not to get it through alternative means, a degree in management might be of benefit if you want to go about it by yourself or set up your own business.
Reply 4

Hey _omsixer_, I am currently in the same boat, which uni did you decide on? What factors helped you to decide on your choice?

Hi @_omsixer_,

My name is Gemma and I'm a first year PhD student and Student Ambassador at Cranfield. I'd be happy to answer questions about Cranfield life!

In terms of location, you can get to Milton Keynes or Bedford by bus, and they both have very good train services to London. Some students choose to live in Milton Keynes or Bedford and commute to campus, if they prefer that. Otherwise you could live on campus or in the village. There are also perks of having a campus that has quite a lot of space for large-scale facilities.

A major difference at Cranfield is that we are postgraduate-only, which I personally really appreciate. For me personally, it creates more of a feeling of a research institute or business school compared to universities where there is a large focus on teaching undergrads. All students are undertaking postgraduate study or research, and that makes for a comparatively more experienced and mature student body. We also have a very international student body.

Are there other aspects of the Cranfield experience you are curious about?

Gemma :smile:
1st Year Environment & Agrifood PhD Student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending