The Student Room Group

Struggling with math content of Foundation Year

Hey everyone (sorry about the rant)

Is there anyone else is the same boat as me? I completed my GCSE's back in 2007 and got fairly good grades, not amazing, but mostly A's and B's. Then I went to College and it all went downhill from there, my attendance was poor and I ended up with C,D,E in Humanities based subjects. I then started a degree at LJMU but bombed at it and left by Christmas.

Now 7 years later I applied to study Urban Regeneration & Planning at The University Of Liverpool. They rejected me and said I had to do their Foundation Year first. I'm only a week in and I feel completely overwhelmed by the work. I have to study Geography, Biology and Maths which they said is equivalent to studying AS and A2 but in the space of 9 months.

The Geography I'm okay with, Biology to an extent but Maths I just cannot seem to grasp. I'm going out of every lesson crying and panicking. This is the last chance saloon if you will because I've already used up with gift year with SFE back in 2009 in my first degree.

The tutor is brilliant and is trying to give me extra help but I just can't grasp it. I only got a C in my GCSE's which was my lowest grade (I hated Maths) and I couldn't wait to leave it behind me! If I don't pass this year then technically I'm screwed. How have mature students coped when they've been out of study for a long time then had to go back and study things as difficult (well, for me) as this? :frown:
Original post by FelicityMarie
Hey everyone (sorry about the rant)

Is there anyone else is the same boat as me? I completed my GCSE's back in 2007 and got fairly good grades, not amazing, but mostly A's and B's. Then I went to College and it all went downhill from there, my attendance was poor and I ended up with C,D,E in Humanities based subjects. I then started a degree at LJMU but bombed at it and left by Christmas.

Now 7 years later I applied to study Urban Regeneration & Planning at The University Of Liverpool. They rejected me and said I had to do their Foundation Year first. I'm only a week in and I feel completely overwhelmed by the work. I have to study Geography, Biology and Maths which they said is equivalent to studying AS and A2 but in the space of 9 months.

The Geography I'm okay with, Biology to an extent but Maths I just cannot seem to grasp. I'm going out of every lesson crying and panicking. This is the last chance saloon if you will because I've already used up with gift year with SFE back in 2009 in my first degree.

The tutor is brilliant and is trying to give me extra help but I just can't grasp it. I only got a C in my GCSE's which was my lowest grade (I hated Maths) and I couldn't wait to leave it behind me! If I don't pass this year then technically I'm screwed. How have mature students coped when they've been out of study for a long time then had to go back and study things as difficult (well, for me) as this? :frown:

What exactly is the maths content? What topics? I don't think a degree in Urban studies will go much beyond GCSE maths to be honest
Original post by michelleworth
What exactly is the maths content? What topics? I don't think a degree in Urban studies will go much beyond GCSE maths to be honest

Currently we’re doing Quadratics and Polynominals. We’ve also done Coordinate Geometry. This is all in the space of 7 hours. It’s basically all of the AS and A2 Maths content but condensed into 8/9 months.

My degree will probably have GCSE Maths at most I think. We just have to do this as part of our Foundation year which is a massive pain because I don’t understand any of it.
I sent a link but it hasnt showed up. Try the "exam solutions" website
I've moved this into the Math Study Help forum because there are some very helpful math experts here who might be able to help you. Do you know what grade you need to achieve in maths to pass the foundation year?

It's very common for mature students returning to Higher Education to feel overwhelmed, so don't beat yourself up about that. If you decide that the math content is too much for you, you could do a part-time degree instead (it's a bit complicated, but essentially your previous years of full-time study don't affect your part-time loan entitlement).

Quick Reply

Latest