The Student Room Group

Struggling with University choices! + Mature student? Living in halls.

Hello! Im planning on studying Nursing starting in 2018.
I'll be 22 and going to live in halls, worried I wont fit in.

Also, I have NO idea where I want to study, Ive looked around a few uni's, Ive looked at all the websites and course structure etc.

I want a campus based university, preferably smallish, nice accommodation and a very social halls if preferable! I do like the look of 'pretty' universities, although I know its not a reason to choose a uni, but it helps!

Can anyone shed any sort of light for me?
I was thinking along the lines of UEA, York, Swansea etc..
The average age of nursing students has been mid to late 20s, so I wouldn't worry too much about struggling to fit in.

With unis, go to open days, you'll have the opportunity to speak to current students and get a feel for the place. It's advisable to visit, you're going to be living there for the best part of the next three years at least.
I'm not really nervous about my course it's more living in halls with lots of people 3-4 years younger, I worry I won't fit in! Yeah I'm going to as many as possibly before I apply! But time doesn't allow much! X
Reply 3
Hey I'm thinking of applying for an animal managment foundation degree next year at hertfordshire uni and i will be 27! I'm nervous about feeling alot older than the others in halls too but also I'm young at heart and want the social side of thjngs aswell. hope I'l fit in ! Xx
Original post by katielauren1996
I'm not really nervous about my course it's more living in halls with lots of people 3-4 years younger, I worry I won't fit in! Yeah I'm going to as many as possibly before I apply! But time doesn't allow much! X

I was 29 and moved into halls to study nursing, age isn't an issue unless you let it be one. A lot of the people in halls were older than your typical school leaving uni students.

A lot of universities place healthcare students together because of the nature of the courses with placements and early starts.
Yeah I've requested not to be put with just health care students as I have lived previously with just midwifery students and it was difficult to meet new friends from different courses! I understand placements and shifts and stuff but would just prefer :smile:
Reply 6
You may find you don't get a choice - as your accommodation will be required for longer than a standard student - that's why they house the Nurses etc together (otherwise when all your housemates go home at the end of the year you will be there alone)
I understand as I was previously a student midwife but some unis do longer let's for other students also and I have emailed unis before hand to make sure I know which ones will place me with other subject students also so that's all good :smile:
Original post by SLUCK27
Hey I'm thinking of applying for an animal managment foundation degree next year at hertfordshire uni and i will be 27! I'm nervous about feeling alot older than the others in halls too but also I'm young at heart and want the social side of thjngs aswell. hope I'l fit in ! Xx

I'm sure you will! It's a pity we won't be at the same uni! Haha :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending