The Student Room Group

Cambridge college choice

I am applying to study geography and having some trouble choosing a college. I am interested to hear opinion of those who study at Cambridge. I am looking for: A college close to the Downing site (where I will be studying mainly)
A fairly lenient visitor policy for my boyfriend to see me
Enthusiastic in sports and definitely a gym/pool
En suite room.
At the moment I am looking at Kings and Downing. Would love to hear the bad things as well as the good at whatever college you study at.
Original post by JessicaAsh
I am applying to study geography and having some trouble choosing a college. I am interested to hear opinion of those who study at Cambridge. I am looking for: A college close to the Downing site (where I will be studying mainly)
A fairly lenient visitor policy for my boyfriend to see me
Enthusiastic in sports and definitely a gym/pool
En suite room.
At the moment I am looking at Kings and Downing. Would love to hear the bad things as well as the good at whatever college you study at.

Whatever they ‘officially’ state in their rule book, in reality there isn’t much difference between colleges regarding a visitor policy.

All colleges have a gym, but most of them are quite small.
There’s only one college with a proper indoor pool that can be used throughout year and that’s Girton = furthermost college.

There’s no college you can be guaranteed to have en suite.
From second year onward, you enter housing-ballot, so you can’t always choose what you want.

Cambridge is very small. Don’t worry too much about distance between college and department. Anywhere you need to go can be reached in 5-10 min by bike. (A bit longer if you’re at Girton)
Also, there’s no guarantee your accommodation is on a main site. Many colleges have accommodation off the main site, some quite away.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey! I'm a first year Geographer at Emmanuel College. We are literally across the road from the Geog department (we actually walk through spoons to get there!) so it takes about 3 mins to get to lectures. I know Cambridge is very small but it is lovely being able to leave at 9:55 for a 10:00 lecture!
Emma is pretty good for Geography - we have one of the largest cohorts ( in my year we are 7, only smaller than Fitz and Girton).
In terms of visitor policy, we apparently have one of the most relaxed ones - I believe the rule book actually says you are allowed a guest for 15 nights a term if they are non-Emma of which you can only have someone overnight for a maximum of a 3 days continuously. Whether this rule is actually respected, I'm not really sure yet.
Emma has both a pool and gym - the pool is outdoors so only really viable in summer so I've been told. The gym is rather small but is probably enough for most. You can always go to a sports team gym if you're a member of a sports team.
Emma does have some new rooms for first years which are all en-suite (and are more expensive)- and you can give your preference before they allocate although it is not guaranteed. I personally have been sharing and for most you are sharing between 4 (its really not that bad once you get here!)

Just thought I'd add that you have a chance of being pooled to another college - I've already met a few geographers in my year that have been pooled.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Geo1215
Hey! I'm a first year Geographer at Emmanuel College. We are literally across the road from the Geog department (we actually walk through spoons to get there!) so it takes about 3 mins to get to lectures. I know Cambridge is very small but it is lovely being able to leave at 9:55 for a 10:00 lecture!
Emma is pretty good for Geography - we have one of the largest cohorts ( in my year we are 7, only smaller than Fitz and Girton).
In terms of visitor policy, we apparently have one of the most relaxed ones - I believe the rule book actually says you are allowed a guest for 15 nights a term if they are non-Emma of which you can only have someone overnight for a maximum of a 3 days continuously. Whether this rule is actually respected, I'm not really sure yet.
Emma has both a pool and gym - the pool is outdoors so only really viable in summer so I've been told. The gym is rather small but is probably enough for most. You can always go to a sports team gym if you're a member of a sports team.
Emma does have some new rooms for first years which are all en-suite (and are more expensive)- and you can give your preference before they allocate although it is not guaranteed. I personally have been sharing and for most you are sharing between 4 (its really not that bad once you get here!)

Just thought I'd add that you have a chance of being pooled to another college - I've already met a few geographers in my year that have been pooled.

Nobody keeps to official visitor rule at any college. Nobody checks.

How many geographers does Catz have this year? They’ve been usually the largest collegefor geography along with Fitz.
Reply 4
haha yes I realise. I actually didn't think about catz, not sure to be honest.

Edit: They have 6 this year, so 3rd biggest.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Geo1215

Thanks for the info, how are you finding the college and your course so far?
Reply 6
Original post by JessicaAsh
Thanks for the info, how are you finding the college and your course so far?

I'm loving the college (as does everyone else in different colleges). The Geography course involves relatively few contact hours, to the point where most weeks we have Mondays off lectures, but we do need to do a lot of reading to be able to write essays we've been set. So far I don't feel the work is too overwhelming as long as you keep on top of it. The content is really interesting though! Almost nothing like what I expected (in a good way!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending