The Student Room Group

Where can you apply with a really low UKCAT score?

I have got an average of 605 in the test and situational judgement band 2. I am dyslexic but didn't realise UKCATSEN existed:angry:

I am currently in a gap year and have got 3 As in my a-levels in bio, chem and maths. I am working as a clinic assistant at the moment and have lots of extra curricular stuff.

Can someone please help me choose which unis to apply for/give me some advice? :smile:
You can check the medic portal website here:
https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-to-apply-to-with-a-low-ukcat-score/
Your score isn't bad at all, don't worry. If you don't mind me asking, how were your GCSE's. Places like Cardiff and Birmingham really like GCSE's, so it would be advisable to apply there. I know Bristol look at your personal statement 50%, and look at UKCAT 20%. That could be an option...
Reply 2
Original post by julian11
You can check the medic portal website here:
https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-to-apply-to-with-a-low-ukcat-score/
Your score isn't bad at all, don't worry. If you don't mind me asking, how were your GCSE's. Places like Cardiff and Birmingham really like GCSE's, so it would be advisable to apply there. I know Bristol look at your personal statement 50%, and look at UKCAT 20%. That could be an option...

I got pretty standard GCSES 3a*s, 8as and 2bs but Birmingham is definitely not an option as I didn’t get a*aa! I know that if you’re applying with A-levels the point system to Cardiff is favourable as they add more onto your GCSE score. I think my personal statement is okay so I will apply for Bristol and Cardiff but really unsure about where else!! Thank you so much :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by morris963
I got pretty standard GCSES 3a*s, 8as and 2bs but Birmingham is definitely not an option as I didn’t get a*aa! I know that if you’re applying with A-levels the point system to Cardiff is favourable as they add more onto your GCSE score. I think my personal statement is okay so I will apply for Bristol and Cardiff but really unsure about where else!! Thank you so much :smile:

Make sure you check with Cardiff if they use the point based system or whichever system they use. My friend applied last year and said that to get an interview, you have to have 8A*s or more. Check with them just in case. Hmm, Liverpool also do the point based thing for GCSE. A*'s and A's are the same weightage of 2 points and they are looking at the top 8 I think. Try looking at Manchester as well. Some people have said its really good.
Original post by morris963
I have got an average of 605 in the test and situational judgement band 2. I am dyslexic but didn't realise UKCATSEN existed:angry:

I am currently in a gap year and have got 3 As in my a-levels in bio, chem and maths. I am working as a clinic assistant at the moment and have lots of extra curricular stuff.

Can someone please help me choose which unis to apply for/give me some advice? :smile:

Hi there!

You might find it useful to look at our blogs on:

- Where to Apply with a 600-660 UKCAT Score for 2018 Entry
- Where to Apply with a UKCAT Score Under 600 for 2018 Entry

Another option may be to take another year out and take the UKCATSEN.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending