The Student Room Group

Self-Studying My Second Year Of A-Levels

So I'm leaving my college in a few weeks because the bs from them over so many years (10th year there wow) is wrecking my mental health to the point of danger and also my chances of doing well (BCD predictions based on one messed up series of exams is just....no. Nope. Not happening. Can't get onto any uni course I want to do with those).

I've decided to drop out and instead finish the course by myself, as well as a tutor. So...organisation-wise, I'm nailing it. Love doing it. But socially I don't know anyone who's in a similar situation.

It would be great to get to know you guys!
You've been at college for 10 years? Are you like 26 then? I didn't think colleges would allow that tbh.
Reply 2
Basically they don't care about your wellbeing at my college. It's grades and money/connections or get out. And they haven't been...the greatest in this new year. As in, 'losing' exam papers and making you do them again. And then shunning you because of the exams. I didn't do the greatest; mainly because I was so depressed and thought I was going to fail no matter how hard I worked.

Half term is in a few weeks.

I do History, German and Psychology. As for UCAS, I'm applying once I have my results or taking a gap year to work.
Reply 3
Original post by eyyylevels
Basically they don't care about your wellbeing at my college. It's grades and money/connections or get out. And they haven't been...the greatest in this new year. As in, 'losing' exam papers and making you do them again. And then shunning you because of the exams. I didn't do the greatest; mainly because I was so depressed and thought I was going to fail no matter how hard I worked.

Half term is in a few weeks.

I do History, German and Psychology. As for UCAS, I'm applying once I have my results or taking a gap year to work.

Have you found a centre where you can enter for the History including the non-examination assessment (coursework)?
Reply 4
Yes I have. My current school is an exam centre
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
Have you found a centre where you can enter for the History including the non-examination assessment (coursework)?

Reply 6

Have they confirmed they will let you sit the exams there as a private candidate?
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
Have they confirmed they will let you sit the exams there as a private candidate?

Not yet. I have a second option lined up incase it falls through
Reply 8
Not yet. I have a second option lined up incase it falls through

Good. Your current centre is likely to be much the cheapest and simplest if they'll take you but lots of centres won't accept any private candidates, or not if there is coursework involved. It is really hard to find a centre willing to let you do coursework as they have to feel comfortable authenticating the work as yours which is difficult if they haven't taught you and they'd also have to find someone prepared to mark it.
Reply 9
Thank you so much 😁

Quick Reply

Latest