The Student Room Group

First Full time course question

hi all.
u have previously studied with the open university and got a HND (2 years) this is classed as part time and I had a tuition loan.

would I be eligible for tuition or maintenance if I went full time to a university to study? or would it be classed as a second degree?
Original post by fhow13
hi all.
u have previously studied with the open university and got a HND (2 years) this is classed as part time and I had a tuition loan.

would I be eligible for tuition or maintenance if I went full time to a university to study? or would it be classed as a second degree?

Hi there, What qualification level would you obtain from studying the full time course? Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, What qualification level would you obtain from studying the full time course? Thanks, Angela

hi, it would be undergraduate full 3 years. I stopped my part time open uni after the 2nd year
Original post by fhow13
hi, it would be undergraduate full 3 years. I stopped my part time open uni after the 2nd year

Hi fhow13,

Will it be an ordinary degree or an honours degree?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi fhow13,

Will it be an ordinary degree or an honours degree?

Thanks, Clare

ordinary the full degree
Reply 5
if i wouldnt be eligible are there any exceptions for second degree tuition and maintenance funding
Original post by fhow13
if i wouldnt be eligible are there any exceptions for second degree tuition and maintenance funding

Hi fhow13,

Thank you for confirming. We would take your previous study into account therefore if you were to start a new course, it is likely you would need to self fund the first year Tuition Fees.

The previous study calculation is course length+1 year - minus previous study years. This means that if you were to attend a 3 year course, it would be 3+1-2= 2 years. You can still apply for the Maintenance Loan in year 1, then years 2 and 3 will be fully funded for the Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 7
ok. I wouldn't be able to self fund it
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi fhow13,

Thank you for confirming. We would take your previous study into account therefore if you were to start a new course, it is likely you would need to self fund the first year Tuition Fees.

The previous study calculation is course length+1 year - minus previous study years. This means that if you were to attend a 3 year course, it would be 3+1-2= 2 years. You can still apply for the Maintenance Loan in year 1, then years 2 and 3 will be fully funded for the Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks, Clare

does this attachment not mean anything?
Original post by fhow13
does this attachment not mean anything?

Hi fhow13,

Yes, it states 'you may' be eligible. However, I have checked the regulations for this for you and you had stated that it is an ordinary degree, not an honours, therefore the advice I have provided is correct.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 10
how is an honor degree different please
Original post by fhow13
how is an honor degree different please

Hi fhow13,

It is a separate calculation but as you has 2 years of previous study, the result is the same as it is also 3+1-2 years= 2 years entitlement. This means that you would still need to self fund the first year Tuition Fee Loan unless you are starting from year 2.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending