The Student Room Group

Studying in America; 2019 Entry

I am a Sixth Former with A*A*AB for my A Level Predictions in (Maths, Music, Further Maths and French respectively). I really desire to study in the States for a Bachelors degree in Economics, partly because I want to be in the US Job Market as opposed to London (More flexibility imo).

For my Gap Year, I have lined up an Internship with BNP Paribas over the Summer in London, and pending hospitality work at Disneyland Paris. Hopefully I will be fluent in French after a year of work, then can focus on my degree.

For the States; I am applying for Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Princeton, Columbia and Northwestern.
Also doing a UCAS Application next year so Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Edinburgh and Bristol.

Questions:

1) SAT Exam? and other prerequisites
2) Chances of getting to Stanford (i.e. my Ideal)
3) Naive about working in France?
4) That's it :smile:

P.S. got 8A* 3A 1B at GCSE
Original post by alexipage2017
I am a Sixth Former with A*A*AB for my A Level Predictions in (Maths, Music, Further Maths and French respectively). I really desire to study in the States for a Bachelors degree in Economics, partly because I want to be in the US Job Market as opposed to London (More flexibility imo).

For my Gap Year, I have lined up an Internship with BNP Paribas over the Summer in London, and pending hospitality work at Disneyland Paris. Hopefully I will be fluent in French after a year of work, then can focus on my degree.

For the States; I am applying for Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Princeton, Columbia and Northwestern.
Also doing a UCAS Application next year so Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Edinburgh and Bristol.

Questions:

1) SAT Exam? and other prerequisites
2) Chances of getting to Stanford (i.e. my Ideal)
3) Naive about working in France?
4) That's it :smile:

P.S. got 8A* 3A 1B at GCSE
Hiya:hi:

Chances of getting into Stanford will depend on lots of things so it's difficult to speculate at this stage.

Working and living in France will look absoutely fantastic on your CV and future applications for the rest of your life I am sure, sometimes it's worth giving it a go? You can always come home if you really don't like it.:wink: And you'll never know unless you try. Confide in someone else (parent or close friend) and hopefully they'll give you that little push you need to go for it.:smile:

I am lost at what you mean in question 1:tongue:

MR
Hi
I also want to study Economics in US 2019. My choices will be MIT, Stanford , Columbia or U Penn My ideal will be Cambridge then LSE. I'm doing the IB predicted 44/45.
Yes you need to do the SAT or ACT exams for application to the US. There websites you can find that will instruct as to when and where they are held. Extracurricular are very important to US apps as well. Good luck
Original post by 04MR17
Hiya:hi:

Chances of getting into Stanford will depend on lots of things so it's difficult to speculate at this stage.

Working and living in France will look absoutely fantastic on your CV and future applications for the rest of your life I am sure, sometimes it's worth giving it a go? You can always come home if you really don't like it.:wink: And you'll never know unless you try. Confide in someone else (parent or close friend) and hopefully they'll give you that little push you need to go for it.:smile:

I am lost at what you mean in question 1:tongue:

MR

Hi

Yeah so just to clarify these internships and placements are pending. My family are behind me and I can stay at home if need be. Also, I need time to build myself up as a person before university, i.e. real world experience, fluency in French would be great etc. In relation to Q1; The SAT/CAT Exams are required for entry into the very best US Colleges i.e. Stanford, ideally with a very high mark.
Your words are very kind and I hope that we both acheive our goals :smile:
Original post by alexipage2017
Hi

Yeah so just to clarify these internships and placements are pending. My family are behind me and I can stay at home if need be. Also, I need time to build myself up as a person before university, i.e. real world experience, fluency in French would be great etc. In relation to Q1; The SAT/CAT Exams are required for entry into the very best US Colleges i.e. Stanford, ideally with a very high mark.
Your words are very kind and I hope that we both acheive our goals :smile:
The above user has clarified over testing.:smile:

Kind words are what I'd wish were given to me all the time, so I try to reverberate that to others.:h:
Original post by Darceydog
Hi
I also want to study Economics in US 2019. My choices will be MIT, Stanford , Columbia or U Penn My ideal will be Cambridge then LSE. I'm doing the IB predicted 44/45.
Yes you need to do the SAT or ACT exams for application to the US. There websites you can find that will instruct as to when and where they are held. Extracurricular are very important to US apps as well. Good luck

That sounds great; 44/45 in the IB would be comparable to A*A*A*A* at A-Level? Ah, what an enviable position. At the moment my predictions are as follows..
A* Maths
A* Further Maths (AS) (Went up because I dropped 3 modules (mechanics and fpso least relevant ones)
A* Music
B French
Are Grades standardised in some way?

UPenn, Interesting, Better for a Masters/MBA? All Great Choices. For the UK I'm opting for UCL, LSE, Cambridge/Oxford (Econ vs E&M), St. Andrews and probably Warwick.
US Applications are pretty much the same as yours minus Wharton and MIT. My ideal being Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia.

In terms of SAT/CAT, machine it over the summer, take in around October? Do you have any idea of the timetabling and I guess there are regional centres to take them in.
But Yeahhh plan is to do an Internship with BNP Paribas in London over the summer of '19 (Connection) and at the UN at around November of '19 (again Connection), then do a placement in France to permanently wire my brain into bilingualism hahaha.
In terms of Internships, Intern Group has interesting offers, also Au Pair arrangements online..
My Extra Curricular is above and beyond, trust me; if you need help with all of that stuff and essays; mail me.

More generally, can always drop a line.
You've got this in the bag :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending