The Student Room Group

how hard is it to get AAA?

Hi,
I have just finished my gcses and received my results which were 2A*s one of which in maths, 5As including all the sciences (triple award) and 3Bs in English lang, lit and computing.
I have also chosen my alevel cources which are Maths, biology, chemistry and physics. My school recommends you take 4 and drop 1 after first year which I presume will be physics. Cut a long story short, I would like to go to uni and become a dentist and looking around entry requirements are AAA in Bio, Chem and one other. I am just wondering how hard is it to get AAA in say maths, bio and Chem?
For STEM subjects it's not too hard, due to the nature of the examinations.

For humanities subjects it's much harder. I did my AS this year and revised for an average of 3 hours a night for 4 months, and got AAB.

A-levels are no joke.
Honestly A levels are hard, very hard. But if your work throughout the year you can do it!

But yea STEM subjects are more of an INPUT->OUTPUT at A level just try not to drop silly marks in maths the grade boundaries are unforgiving.
Original post by Abstract_Prism

For humanities subjects it's much harder. I did my AS this year and revised for an average of 3 hours a night for 4 months, and got AAB.

A-levels are no joke.

That's jokes. A STEM subject actually requires intelligence. A humanities subject just requires memorisation.
Original post by Skankhunt43
That's jokes. A STEM subject actually requires intelligence. A humanities subject just requires memorisation.

Arguably, to get an A in A level Math is basically just memorisation.

This is an opinion based on experience before any try-hards attempt to roast my comment.

Spoiler

It is going to be difficult, but if you are willing to put in the effort and hours you can and will do it. I got A*AB plus A in EPQ after putting in more effort than I thought I could. B was in biology, and that was the hardest one imo. So I'm super proud I got a B, it felt like an A* on results day.
I did Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History at AS level and found history the easiest tbh. A bit more content to cover since you need to know a bunch of facts to support your arguments but in terms of actual difficulty/intellect required I'd say it's easier than stem. As for the original question it depends on how smart you are. If you got A*/A at GCSE then you shouldn't struggle too much (unless you struggled with those).

I'd argue it was the other way round. STEM subjects are about memorisation. Learning forumula and definitions. Humanities require deep analysis, and critical thinking. You can't "memorise" anything more than a few quotes for a Literature exam. Just get ready to analyse the sh*t out of whatever question they throw at you.

That being said, A-Levels in general require memorisation. That's kinda how exams work.
What about for:

English lit
Geography
Art

Original post by Abstract_Prism

A-levels are no joke.

Original post by Akbar2k7
Honestly A levels are hard, very hard. But if your work throughout the year you can do it!

But yea STEM subjects are more of an INPUT->OUTPUT at A level just try not to drop silly marks in maths the grade boundaries are unforgiving.

Original post by Ze Witcher
Arguably, to get an A in A level Math is basically just memorisation.

This is an opinion based on experience before any try-hards attempt to roast my comment.

Spoiler

Original post by DrawTheLine
It is going to be difficult, but if you are willing to put in the effort and hours you can and will do it. I got A*AB plus A in EPQ after putting in more effort than I thought I could. B was in biology, and that was the hardest one imo. So I'm super proud I got a B, it felt like an A* on results day.

Original post by Student-95
I did Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History at AS level and found history the easiest tbh. A bit more content to cover since you need to know a bunch of facts to support your arguments but in terms of actual difficulty/intellect required I'd say it's easier than stem. As for the original question it depends on how smart you are. If you got A*/A at GCSE then you shouldn't struggle too much (unless you struggled with those).

Original post by FloralHybrid
I'd argue it was the other way round. STEM subjects are about memorisation. Learning forumula and definitions. Humanities require deep analysis, and critical thinking. You can't "memorise" anything more than a few quotes for a Literature exam. Just get ready to analyse the sh*t out of whatever question they throw at you.

That being said, A-Levels in general require memorisation. That's kinda how exams work.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
What about for:

English lit
Geography
Art

Geography is supposed to be easy. Don't know about the other 2.
Reply 10

With STEM Subjects for the most part the answers can't be marked differently due to ambiguity.

You are either right or wrong

humanities is up in the air

there's a reason why kids get their papers remarked and go from Ds to As
Original post by Student-95
Geography is supposed to be easy. Don't know about the other 2.

Okay, thanks.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Okay, thanks.

Geography is the one I got an A in, but I did have to resit AS. It's the easiest one I took.
With all things considered, it's not overly difficult to get A's if you put the graft in. There's a slight saving grace for the sciences as they have low grade boundaries (maybe except Chemistry), but with enough practise, you should be able to get them.
Reply 14
Original post by Fractite
With all things considered, it's not overly difficult to get A's if you put the graft in. There's a slight saving grace for the sciences as they have low grade boundaries (maybe except Chemistry), but with enough practise, you should be able to get them.

How to get an A for Biology??
Original post by Yaboi

Why you gotta quote his avatar.
Original post by itsyrt
How to get an A for Biology??

Have you considered engaging in this wonderful activity called "revision" yet?

Quick Reply

Latest