The Student Room Group

Failure is not to try (GYG)

Gw07mcgheerachel Failure is not to try

12/10/2017

Rachel here, it’s a new academic year. Last year I sat my first lot of SQA Highers and they did not go as well as I’d hoped so I hope this year I will learn from my mistakes and get the grades I want this year for university and hopefully I can help others. My goals this year are to get at least 4B’s to apply for biomedical science (possibly engineering).

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Tip 1

I would highly recommend investing in a laptop and a printer if you do not have one.

My laptop is my best friend. I use OneNote to create notes, Microsoft Powerpoints are very useful. I'd also recommend saving some things to a pen drive or the computer such as past paper so you can access without internet, say in free periods is school I take my laptop in. Printers are so useful too , I prefer paper copies of notes and past papers at times so I can highlight and write on them. So if you do not have both of these essentials, I guarantee you investing in them will help you see a difference in your grades! :smile:

(edited 6 years ago)

Capture3.PNG

Tip 2
This is an example of my study plan. I'd highly advise if you want to do well in exams then make a study timetable or at least plan your time. Be realistic with time , don't say you'll spend 2 hours studying and then do homework if you go to an after school club til late. Try to change it up monthly focusing on specific subjects, for example in October you might be spending 2 hours a night doing chemistry because you don't understand it however in November you may understand it and only want to spend an hour. Try to make sure you study all subject no matter how confident you are in one or the other. Try to section of times for a subject or even a day. Remember to have a day off and take breaks in between studying hours. Try to make it effective , however if you don't get round to doing an hour of history and can only do half an hour, or you were so tired you just didn't do it , that's okay just be sure not to fall into a trap and make it a weekly trend. I'd love to see your study plans to see what they're like compared to mine :wink:

(edited 6 years ago)
15/10/2017

Got some Higher Biology Studying done today for my text coming up in the next week. The James Torrance Higher Biology textbook is an absolute godsend, it's incredibly helpful.My test is just for Unit 1 which I feel quite comfortable with.I also made some flashcards and have been using them to test my knowledge.

Attachment not found

I have had a few knock-downs when it comes to biology. I am resitting it as i got a C last year and wanted a better grade rather than riskily taking the Advanced Higher, I was absolutely heart-broken to see a C on my certificate. I cried for hours, I had been dreaming of doing Advanced Higher since S3 , however I guess not everything goes to plan. As well as feeling upset I was also extremely frustrated seeing that others in my class who put in near enough zero effort managed to pass and go on to sit the Advanced Higher. Also my teacher this year has been quite hard on me even though I'm doing well, I'm getting around 80% in my homeworks but when i done a 1.1 and 1.2 test and got around 60% she said it wasn't good enough and has said to me in the last week that I won't do better than last year.

Here's hoping I prove her wrong this year, starting with this Unit 1 Test , I can do it!!:biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)

Tip 3
snip.PNG
Find or make a study playlist. This could be on spotify, youtube, deezer or whatever you like. I'd recommend instrumentals and acoustic versions. Something which you'll still be studying after listening to and not across your room dancing. It's so easy to find already made playlists that you can use if you can't be bothered making one.

I made a new one this morning check it out if you like - https://open.spotify.com/user/raquelmcg26/playlist/4Z4we09koU7CSQMDrb81In

Tip 4

Avoid Distractions!

'If you're gonna do it do it right!' Get rid of any distractions in front of you - get the tv off, phone on do not disturb mode and far away from you, if you're on a laptop block facebook etc. There are apps out there that disable distractions on phones and computers etc. Find a quiet space with nothing near you that will distract you. Focus!
17/03/2017

So today is quite a lazy day. Weathers not great so today it's PJ's , Tea and Tidying.
Currently I've organised the top of my drawers which is kinda like my test where all my study things are as well as my cupboard. I'm also gonna work on organising my notes too. Hope everyone else's day is good :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Attachment not found
Attachment not found
photo 2 (2).jpg

Tip 5

Colour code and Highlight! It's actually beneficial to highlight and colour code notes. You're more likely to use bright notes rather than just black pen writing. Make a code when highlighting to help organise these highlighted parts better. Colour code your notes using different coloured pens. I did so for my chemistry notes - I information about the activation energy is in green, temperature is blue , activated complex is green and catalysts is purple.
Also taking Modern Studies last year made me appreciate the PEEL rule which is helpful with all notes. PEEL simply stand for Point,Explain,Example and Link , using this method gives you useful and effective notes.
Reply 8
heyyy I've just came across your blog and I'm in love already. I'm absolutely loving the study tips so far!!!
I'm from England, so can you break down the scottish system, I'm a bit lost when you talk about the Biology highers etc. Feel free to check mine out :smile:
Original post by rhegggg
heyyy I've just came across your blog and I'm in love already. I'm absolutely loving the study tips so far!!!
I'm from England, so can you break down the scottish system, I'm a bit lost when you talk about the Biology highers etc. Feel free to check mine out :smile:

Aw thank you so much , I'll defos check your blog out x
I'm sure that our highers are kinda like your A-Levels, I'm not too familiar with the difference myself either!
Love your thread! Good luck :smile:
Original post by CupOfCaramel
Love your thread! Good luck :smile:

Thank you!
Looks great! :smile:
Original post by xxFreyaWxx
Looks great! :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
15/10/2017

Got some Higher Biology Studying done today for my text coming up in the next week. The James Torrance Higher Biology textbook is an absolute godsend, it's incredibly helpful.My test is just for Unit 1 which I feel quite comfortable with.I also made some flashcards and have been using them to test my knowledge.

Attachment not found

I have had a few knock-downs when it comes to biology. I am resitting it as i got a C last year and wanted a better grade rather than riskily taking the Advanced Higher, I was absolutely heart-broken to see a C on my certificate. I cried for hours, I had been dreaming of doing Advanced Higher since S3 , however I guess not everything goes to plan. As well as feeling upset I was also extremely frustrated seeing that others in my class who put in near enough zero effort managed to pass and go on to sit the Advanced Higher. Also my teacher this year has been quite hard on me even though I'm doing well, I'm getting around 80% in my homeworks but when i done a 1.1 and 1.2 test and got around 60% she said it wasn't good enough and has said to me in the last week that I won't do better than last year.

Here's hoping I prove her wrong this year, starting with this Unit 1 Test , I can do it!!:biggrin:

Don't let a teacher like that bring down your morale. As you said "failure is not to try" so you should go ahead and prove your teacher wrong :biggrin:
Original post by Elle1718
Don't let a teacher like that bring down your morale. As you said "failure is not to try" so you should go ahead and prove your teacher wrong :biggrin:

Thank you so much xx I won't!
18/10/2017

AM : So between last night and this morning I've been quite a busy bee. I'm focusing on Biology as I've got 2 tests when I go back to school next week . But not to worry I'm feeling quite prepared , plus I've sat the tests before and passed them, I just want to do well to prove my teacher wrong! So I've been working on extended response questions doing pretty well, now I know what topics I need to read over - Replication, Hybrid Zones, Selection, Genomic Sequencing. On to some Chemistry studying now :smile:

photo (3).jpg

PM : So gonna be totally honest tonight I've been a bit lazy, but we all need a break from studying at some time...however I took more time to chillax than I should've. Been watching some Jack Whitehall tonight, something light-hearted and cheery!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel

Capture3.PNG

Tip 2
This is an example of my study plan. I'd highly advise if you want to do well in exams then make a study timetable or at least plan your time. Be realistic with time , don't say you'll spend 2 hours studying and then do homework if you go to an after school club til late. Try to change it up monthly focusing on specific subjects, for example in October you might be spending 2 hours a night doing chemistry because you don't understand it however in November you may understand it and only want to spend an hour. Try to make sure you study all subject no matter how confident you are in one or the other. Try to section of times for a subject or even a day. Remember to have a day off and take breaks in between studying hours. Try to make it effective , however if you don't get round to doing an hour of history and can only do half an hour, or you were so tired you just didn't do it , that's okay just be sure not to fall into a trap and make it a weekly trend. I'd love to see your study plans to see what they're like compared to mine :wink:

Great timetable! You've definitely got a lot going on
Original post by Chelle1304
Great timetable! You've definitely got a lot going on

Thanks and defos, you too lol!

Tip 6

Past Papers! Do as many as you can, start as quick as possible. Even if you're having to pick out Unit 1 questions from the full paper, it's worth it. You can find so many for Scottish people - New Highers, Old Highers, Specimen Papers, Exam style questions in textbooks etc. Even copy down some exam standard answers for questions for exam the wording for biology and chemistry questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending