The Student Room Group

Found a perfect course for me... but school doesn't offer the A-Level I need

I am in year 12 now and I have always wanted to do Biochemistry, and I've always loved languages at the same time... I found the perfect course for me: Biochemistry with a Modern Language. I am currently studying Spanish, even though I've always wanted to do Italian- my school doesn't offer Italian A level, and I want to do it in uni. Is it possible for me to do Italian A-Level outside of school, without doing the GCSE, or am I trying to reach something impossible? (My knowledge of Italian isn't bad, actually, I can understand a lot of it because I spend a lot of time there) Thanks!
Reply 1
There's no rule against taking an A level without having a GCSE in the same subject. We can't say whether your Italian is good enough or whether you could cope with the extra workload.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Glazmann
I am in year 12 now and I have always wanted to do Biochemistry, and I've always loved languages at the same time... I found the perfect course for me: Biochemistry with a Modern Language. I am currently studying Spanish, even though I've always wanted to do Italian- my school doesn't offer Italian A level, and I want to do it in uni. Is it possible for me to do Italian A-Level outside of school, without doing the GCSE, or am I trying to reach something impossible? (My knowledge of Italian isn't bad, actually, I can understand a lot of it because I spend a lot of time there) Thanks!

Yes, def! Or you can always take a course outside college. I'm sure the uni will accept that as well.
Reply 3
Original post by Glazmann

I did Italian A level without the GCSE or any pre-knowledge and got an A, but I did it at school. Don't the uni offer ab initio Italian? Schools are usually reasonably happy to enter you for exams as an external candidate but you have to pay.
Reply 4
Original post by Etoile
I did Italian A level without the GCSE or any pre-knowledge and got an A, but I did it at school. Don't the uni offer ab initio Italian? Schools are usually reasonably happy to enter you for exams as an external candidate but you have to pay.

I'm not too certain on ab intio courses, but I think because it's not a just language course they wouldn't offer it- thanks though, I will reasearch into it!

Quick Reply

Latest