The Student Room Group

Manual vs automatic?

Scroll to see replies

Manual! I drove a 1987 classic mini auto 998cc for years which was great but it meant I was so nervous when it came to buying a newer car. Plus manuals are more fun :wink:
Depends if you want to 'enjoy' driving or just get to A to B by the sounds of it.

I haven't done my driving yet but I'm not going to bother with Manual. Maybe I'll do it in the future but it sounds it will take longer to learn, and that means it will cost more in driving lessons :smile:
Original post by dxna.s
This is what worries me lol

This is what irritates me. It is so distracting when I must focus on driving. Anyway I am quite insecure on driving.
Semi- automatic...
I still have to change gears up and down
only difference is there's no clutch :smile:
Original post by dxna.s
What car is best as a first car?

Oh wow that’s such a general question! Depends on the driver and their height, the shape of their arms (I’ve found Corsa seats stick out too much when trying to grasp the hand break), how much they’re willing to spend, the space they have on the driveway, their favourite colour, what they are looking for in a car (e.g. shape preferences and extras like air con), the insurance group they’re willing to go for, how eco friendly they want to be, the distance they are likely to travel and how often, how much they stall (diesels are harder to stall but I still manage it occasionally)....

There are so many parameters! There is no correct answer and it all depends on the driver and their situation!
Reply 25
Original post by carrotstar
Oh wow that’s such a general question! Depends on the driver and their height, the shape of their arms (I’ve found Corsa seats stick out too much when trying to grasp the hand break), how much they’re willing to spend, the space they have on the driveway, their favourite colour, what they are looking for in a car (e.g. shape preferences and extras like air con), the insurance group they’re willing to go for, how eco friendly they want to be, the distance they are likely to travel and how often, how much they stall (diesels are harder to stall but I still manage it occasionally)....

There are so many parameters! There is no correct answer and it all depends on the driver and their situation!

Thanks! :smile:
Manual takes so long to learn and automatic just gets on with it. I'm definitely going to learn automatic in about 2 years.
Original post by Emerald777O
Manual takes so long to learn and automatic just gets on with it. I'm definitely going to learn automatic in about 2 years.

Manual does not take long to learn, it's just something you get better at while learning the others things you need to drive. Learn manual and you won't be limited to what car you can drive!
when i had my driving lessons i preferred the automatic because it was less of a hassle with the gears
Original post by Edrulesok
Manual does not take long to learn, it's just something you get better at while learning the others things you need to drive. Learn manual and you won't be limited to what car you can drive!

Tbh idc about that!! Manual is long, hard and costy af
Original post by dxna.s
What car is best as a first car?

Manual!!! Love the control, but its quite nice that Automatic does gears for you.

Recent VW Polo's/Golf cars are the one! Small enough and stylish for a group of friends.
Reply 31
Original post by JayX0
Manual!!! Love the control, but its quite nice that Automatic does gears for you.

Recent VW Polo's/Golf cars are the one! Small enough and stylish for a group of friends.

Thanks!
Automatic - Medically disqualified from manual by the DVLA.

Drive manual offroad, but if a manufacturer other than range rover could create an automatic that had a low range gearbox that didn't suck that would be preferential as well.

Also the argument that manual is better for those who enjoy driving is ******** - how many modern race cars are still properly manual? almost zero.
(edited 6 years ago)
also @IWMTom this should be in the motoring sub-forum :wink:
I used to drive manual but now I drive an automatic Peugeot 107 and it's so much easier :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by iainvg
also @IWMTom this should be in the motoring sub-forum :wink:

Absolutely right! @AngryJellyfish could you pop this into Cars and Motoring, please? :smile:
Original post by dxna.s
Don’t you just love driving a hassle free automatic though, without having to worry about the gear changing and clutch? :smile:

I guess but it keeps me paying attention on the road and thus I don't drive into trees lol.
Reply 37
Original post by notveryoriginal
I guess but it keeps me paying attention on the road and thus I don't drive into trees lol.

Is that really how bad attention span is when driving automatics? Don’t wanna be crashing into trees any time soon :’)
Original post by dxna.s
Is that really how bad attention span is when driving automatics? Don’t wanna be crashing into trees any time soon :’)

Not everyone's I imagine, lol :')
I'm dyspraxic so my attention span is particularly weird. Sometimes I just go fuzzy and stop processing things, like to the point where I'm getting the grades to apply for Cambridge and yet still cannot read analog clocks (as in I know theoretically how to do it, I just can't seem to actually make myself do it)
I'm learning a manual at the moment which is going okay so far. But please just pick whatever you want whether it is manual or auto. At thr end of the day it is what makes you feel safe and comfortable when driving and your going to be paying for all these car see e.g. insurance, road tax not the people who are telling you to learn to manual just because 'it's the proper way of driving' follow your heart.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending