The Student Room Group

Is manual driving really that hard?

Currently learning to drive in my sister's semi-auto car and I'm finding it so easy to be honest. I know I can probably get my license faster (granted I can actually get a test booked lol) if I stay with an auto license, but I'm considering manual for the practicality e.g. needing to drive someone else's car in an emergency. I'm mainly asking this because I hear and see so many people saying manual is the worst and how manual cars are gonna be gone in the next few years, so is it worth it in the end? I'm not looking to work in any job that REQUIRES driving, just want to drive before I start uni as I'm commuting and don't always want to take 1.5hr buses vs a 35 min car journey.
Original post by wrenney
Currently learning to drive in my sister's semi-auto car and I'm finding it so easy to be honest. I know I can probably get my license faster (granted I can actually get a test booked lol) if I stay with an auto license, but I'm considering manual for the practicality e.g. needing to drive someone else's car in an emergency. I'm mainly asking this because I hear and see so many people saying manual is the worst and how manual cars are gonna be gone in the next few years, so is it worth it in the end? I'm not looking to work in any job that REQUIRES driving, just want to drive before I start uni as I'm commuting and don't always want to take 1.5hr buses vs a 35 min car journey.

Manual isnt that hard.
Once you get used to the gears its second nature really.
Try a few manual lessons and see how you get on.
Manual driving is not hard. You just have to remember to change gears accordingly. I.e. you turn the corner in 2nd gear (for the most part) and you switch to 1st when stopped at traffic lights etc.
Automatic driving is a doddle compared to manual.
It's also much easier to go from manual to automatic than the other way around.
I would honestly learn in a manual - automatics are harder to come by when you're buying or renting cars.
Reply 4
Nope, not that complicated at all! And like you said, much easier to learn if you ever need to hop in somebody else's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending