The Student Room Group

Extra activities during A Levels?

(hopefully this is in the right place)
I know that the higher universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Russel Group etc) like to see extra dedication to your chosen subject outside of your studies. I'm currently studying AS levels so I'm a way from applying, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions/ideas for what I could do outside of my AS levels to show dedication. I'd like to study law at university so they should be relevant to that. Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Not too sure about law specifically.. But to go and study chemical engineering I attended a STEM club and did Work Experience at an engineering firm.
Reply 2
There's something called the Bar Mock Trial, which is what it says on the tin - a mock trial. Your school may know about it or someone in your local area will likely be a coordinator, so taking part in that will give you the chance to take part in a 'trial' and assume a role in the legal profession which will give you a lot to talk about in your personal statement.

Also, I believe anyone can go and watch a court case in a Magistrates' or Crown court given there is a public gallery. So going to see any kind of case unfold will show your interest and give you more to talk about. Also, any extra curricula's your school might have, some kind of debating or ethical discussion? That can help with law too.
Reply 3
Original post by Texxers
Not too sure about law specifically.. But to go and study chemical engineering I attended a STEM club and did Work Experience at an engineering firm.

thanks! i'll have a look into clubs and such
Reply 4
Original post by jsg9
There's something called the Bar Mock Trial, which is what it says on the tin - a mock trial. Your school may know about it or someone in your local area will likely be a coordinator, so taking part in that will give you the chance to take part in a 'trial' and assume a role in the legal profession which will give you a lot to talk about in your personal statement.

Also, I believe anyone can go and watch a court case in a Magistrates' or Crown court given there is a public gallery. So going to see any kind of case unfold will show your interest and give you more to talk about. Also, any extra curricula's your school might have, some kind of debating or ethical discussion? That can help with law too.

ah i remember my sixth form mentioning a mock trial during an induction day but they haven't said anything about it since, so i'll ask them directly. i'd thought about going to see a trial but i wasn't sure how much help it'd be, but i'd guessed that i wouldn't exactly lose anything from it. we do have a debating chamber so i'm pretty certain we've got a club to go with it

Quick Reply

Latest