The Student Room Group

No cheap car insurance without a black box

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BDunlop
Well I started a new policy this year, 18 now. I'm currently using smart wheels (esure I think) you'll save a bit of money if you drive well. Last year I used drivesmart and got like £200 back for good driving

How much was it to start with then
Original post by Fighter365

After reading smart wheels reviews I can assure you I am very unlikely to use them
After reading smart wheels reviews I can assure you I am very unlikely to use them

They are pretty sensitive, I got a - 10 score for speed the other day when I must've gone like 34 by accident, but if you drive smooth and at reasonable times it doesn't really matter.. All black boxes are ******, it'll save you money at the end of the day which is 🗝

Like £2k, a **** ton don't know why my parents funded it..
Original post by BDunlop
They are pretty sensitive, I got a - 10 score for speed the other day when I must've gone like 34 by accident, but if you drive smooth and at reasonable times it doesn't really matter.. All black boxes are ******, it'll save you money at the end of the day which is 🗝

It won’t if they end up cancelling my insurance for going at 33mph a couple of times and then I get no NCD
It won’t if they end up cancelling my insurance for going at 33mph a couple of times and then I get no NCD

Well i might have gone a bit faster I don't know b it 33 is fine. You're marked out of 30 speed is only out of +/-10..if you're not an awful driver you should get over 0 which is all you need
Hi,

I'm 17 and looking for car insurance quotes before I get a car. The cheapest I can get on any decent car (e.g. 1.2l corsa) is about £1900 with a *****y black box. I dont want a ****ing black box but the cheapest one without it is like £3600. Is these even ****ing legal. I know young drivers are dangerous but I'm just sat here like wtf, they're feeding on the people with the least income. I just think its so excessive. Even if I got a black box I know it would be **** anyway with the restricted mileage and bad driving scores everyone seems to get. I don't even live in a dodgey area, so I just don't get it. Read this then tell me how you expect me to get a black bloody box with confidence

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.morethan.com

Rant over.

What you need to do is negotiate. Phone up the insurance companies and knock them down as much as you can. Then when they give you a quote phone up another company and if they give you a higher quote then say "Oh, never mind then as (insert previous company name) gave me a cheaper quote" this can result in them giving you a discount because they won't want to lose you to a competitor then keep on doing this with all companies until you get the cheapest quote you can possibly get.

Also, a friend of mine has blackbox insurance with More Than and he has also complained about them but I have a few other friends with blackbox with the likes of LV and Tesco and they haven't complained.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Unknown-99
What you need to do is negotiate. Phone up the insurance companies and knock them down as much as you can. Then when they give you a quote phone up another company and if they give you a higher quote then say "Oh, never mind then as (insert previous company name) gave me a cheaper quote" this can result in them giving you a discount because they won't want to lose you to a competitor then keep on doing this with all companies until you get the cheapest quote you can possibly get.

Also, a friend of mine has blackbox insurance with More Than and he has also complained about them but I have a few other friends with blackbox with the likes of LV and Tesco and they haven't complained.

This doesn't really work for high risk policyholders - they won't budge far from the original quote. I agree that haggling can knock a small amount off, but a new policyholder has very little bargaining power, especially when they're so high risk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending