The Student Room Group

A-level Maths help Graphs!!!!

This is probably the easiest question asked (but I'm very bad at graphs)

What are the X-intercepts of the graph y= - x2+3
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Set y=0 and simply solve the equation
Where y = 0 so then just move the x variables to the other side of the equation from the constants then solve to find the x values.
Reply 4
-3=-x^2
3=x^2
+sqrt(3) or -sqrt(3) =x
therefore sqrt(3),0
-sqrt(3),0
Original post by Mahrez
-3=-x^2
3=x^2
+sqrt(3) or -sqrt(3) =x
therefore sqrt(3),0
-sqrt(3),0

Thanks but how is the answer + or - root3
As it only gives one answer?
Original post by GCSE 9

Because when you square a negative number it becomes positive, a simple y = x^2 + c graph will be reflected along the y axis and so will intercept positive and negative points of the same magnitude.
Reply 7
Original post by GCSE 9

The graph is a quadratic, therefore can intercept the X axis in two points. Cubic graphs intercept in 3. Quatic in 4
Original post by Mahrez
The graph is a quadratic, therefore can intercept the X axis in two points. Cubic graphs intercept in 3. Quatic in 4

Quatic? Do you mean quartic?
Reply 9
Original post by Hirsty97
Quatic? Do you mean quartic?
yep
Original post by Mahrez
yep

Okay, I haven't come across graphs like that yet. Is it in C3, C4?
Reply 11
are you in y12 or y13? I am y13 so if you are in y12 you follow a different syllabus.
also, since starting AS maths, I'm really struggling with it, as this basic question I couldn't answer, I've always struggled with application but is it still possible to do well in maths if i really work hard at it because it's the hardest subject i'm taking and takes me a long time to understand a concept?
Okay, I haven't come across graphs like that yet. Is it in C3, C4?

cubics and quartics are covered in as now. Idk where they were in the old spec.
Original post by Mahrez
are you in y12 or y13? I am y13 so if you are in y12 you follow a different syllabus.

y12
Original post by _gcx
cubics and quartics are covered in as now. Idk where they were in the old spec.

Which specification would you say is easier?
Original post by GCSE 9
also, since starting AS maths, I'm really struggling with it, as this basic question I couldn't answer, I've always struggled with application but is it still possible to do well in maths if i really work hard at it because it's the hardest subject i'm taking and takes me a long time to understand a concept?

Yeah I did GCSE Maths in year 10 and only received a B. Now I'm a year removed since year 13 and decided I wanted to do an economics degree in a respected university so I need an A/A* in A Level Maths. As I hadn't practised academic maths in years I forgot a lot of the basics i.e surd rule and equation of a line. I'm not naturally gifted in maths but by learning every aspect of the curriculum meticulously by using AQA textbooks and past-papers I've been able to get As and A*s for C1 & 2.

First of all if I don't understand something from my AQA textbook I'll go look on YouTube videos using Khan Academy typically. If I still don't understand I'll look up other videos until I eventually get it. The key is patience and setting yourself lots of time to understand as you don't want to rush through the syllabus and end up losing marks because you don't know something. I kind of made that mistake by rushing through trigonometry in C1/2 meaning it's taking me longer to get through C3
Yeah I did GCSE Maths in year 10 and only received a B. Now I'm a year removed since year 13 and decided I wanted to do an economics degree in a respected university so I need an A/A* in A Level Maths. As I hadn't practised academic maths in years I forgot a lot of the basics i.e surd rule and equation of a line. I'm not naturally gifted in maths but by learning every aspect of the curriculum meticulously by using AQA textbooks and past-papers I've been able to get As and A*s for C1 & 2.

First of all if I don't understand something from my AQA textbook I'll go look on YouTube videos using Khan Academy typically. If I still don't understand I'll look up other videos until I eventually get it. The key is patience and setting yourself lots of time to understand as you don't want to rush through the syllabus and end up losing marks because you don't know something. I kind of made that mistake by rushing through trigonometry in C1/2 meaning it's taking me longer to get through C3

Original post by GCSE 9

Of course you have to take notes. If you don't take notes how can you be expected to retain anything. Take notes first then proceed to do practise questions.
Of course you have to take notes. If you don't take notes how can you be expected to retain anything. Take notes first then proceed to do practise questions.

****, that means that I have to catch up on core 1 notes :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest