The Student Room Group

Final interview over coffee?

So I've had six interviews for a graduate level role in finance across two rounds. I have been invited to another interview with some associates 'for an informal interview over coffee'.

Has anyone got advice for what I should expect at this stage? Is this a personality/culture fit test? I'm unsure whether I'm likely to be tested on the technical side of the role (which has been tested) or whether it'll literally be a chat to get to know me.
Original post by jb9390
So I've had six interviews for a graduate level role in finance across two rounds. I have been invited to another interview with some associates 'for an informal interview over coffee'.

Has anyone got advice for what I should expect at this stage? Is this a personality/culture fit test? I'm unsure whether I'm likely to be tested on the technical side of the role (which has been tested) or whether it'll literally be a chat to get to know me.

Just treat it like an actual formal interview. They are probably trying to test what you are like in a relaxed setting.
I had an interview over coffee once and it was like any other interview and thats how you should treat it.
Reply 2
Original post by Boreism
Just treat it like an actual formal interview. They are probably trying to test what you are like in a relaxed setting.
I had an interview over coffee once and it was like any other interview and thats how you should treat it.

The thing is I've already had six interviews and I've met the two interviewers (for the upcoming interview) before. I'm just unsure whether I'm going to be leading the discussion or whether they will lead it. I'm assuming it'll be more of an conversational format in comparison to the others.
Reply 3
It sounds likely that it will be an informal chat, for them to get to know you a bit better and see how you are in a more relaxed situation. Its easy to overthink these things. The idea of what it will be is typically worse than what it is. Interviewers are just normal people too, and its unlikely they are out to give you a hard time.

That said, id prepare as if it was a formal interview. Know about the firm, know about what they do. Id particularly focus on industry issues and hot topics since that could be likely to be conversation topic. Have questions prepared etc. I wouldn't worry too much over who is expected to 'lead' the conversation. My experience is that they would probably lead, given they are in a more senior position, but I'd just go with the flow.
Reply 4
Original post by josh_v
It sounds likely that it will be an informal chat, for them to get to know you a bit better and see how you are in a more relaxed situation. Its easy to overthink these things. The idea of what it will be is typically worse than what it is. Interviewers are just normal people too, and its unlikely they are out to give you a hard time.

That said, id prepare as if it was a formal interview. Know about the firm, know about what they do. Id particularly focus on industry issues and hot topics since that could be likely to be conversation topic. Have questions prepared etc. I wouldn't worry too much over who is expected to 'lead' the conversation. My experience is that they would probably lead, given they are in a more senior position, but I'd just go with the flow.

Thanks for this.I'm assuming it's fine if we start to stray away from work related topics? (obviously within reason)

Yeah, I imagine I'm overthinking it because of how much I need/want the job!
Reply 5
Original post by jb9390
Thanks for this.I'm assuming it's fine if we start to stray away from work related topics? (obviously within reason)

Yeah, I imagine I'm overthinking it because of how much I need/want the job!

The conversation will go wherever it naturally goes. You can really set limits to a conversation when you have no idea what it will be about.

Just prep as if it was a formal interview, and then whatever happens you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending