The Student Room Group

Discrimination against short guys?

Okay, so I'm 5'11.5, I'm not exactly short nor am I tall.

However, I am just curious about girls approach to guy's height.

I never had a girl come up to me saying oh you're too short etc but I know a lot of guys that have. You also get girls that say they will only date guys who are 6 feet or above.

I understand it's nice for guys to be tall but if a guy said oh I only date girls with DD or bigger breasts or girl who is size 12 or below then he would be bombarded by mums net or some girls (rightfully so in my opinion).

So how come its seen as okay to be selective based on a guys height? he cant change his height it's fixed but a girls weight isn't?

Like Satistatically most men are under 6 foot? so chances of finding someone you match with in terms of personality is massively reduced?

(I would happily date a girl who is over 6ft if I like her personality)

I'm curious to get guys and girls opinion on this?
As a short girl, I dont care if I date a tall/short/normal guy. It's the personality that matters. :smile:
Reply 2
Height is a desired trait but it's not the be-all and end-all. As long as you don't start being insecure in front of the girl then you'll be fine.

Also title is a bit clickbait since you are almost 6 foot. Stop worrying, you're fine.
Ayee man, tis jus a preference. You gotta find dem gyals that don't got that "6ft or below is a no-no" requirement.
Original post by UWS
Height is a desired trait but it's not the be-all and end-all. As long as you don't start being insecure in front of the girl then you'll be fine.

Also title is a bit clickbait since you are almost 6 foot. Stop worrying, you're fine.

I'm not concerned about my height at all. I am quite happy with the height I am. I am just curious as to why this matters so much to some girls as I have never understood why since I wouldn't care a if a girls is 4'11 or 6'2
Reply 5
Original post by JoshElyot

I never had a girl come up to me saying oh you're too short etc but I know a lot of guys that have. You also get girls that say they will only date guys who are 6 feet or above.

I understand it's nice for guys to be tall but if a guy said oh I only date girls with DD or bigger breasts or girl who is size 12 or below then he would be bombarded by mums net or some girls (rightfully so in my opinion).

So how come its seen as okay to be selective based on a guys height? he cant change his height it's fixed but a girls weight isn't?

Like Satistatically most men are under 6 foot? so chances of finding someone you match with in terms of personality is massively reduced?

the reason girls discriminate against shorter guys is because of the masculinity/feminity relationship

masculine = dominant
femininity = submissive

height is one of the ways dominance presents itself

if the female is taller than the male she typically feels more dominant than him on a basic level.

the masculinity/femininity relationship is out of wack and so attraction on her part suffers.

There are small 5ft women who will still sometimes date short men of like 5ft 5.
why? ..yes he is still short, but due to him still being taller than her he is meeting her masculinity requirement on that basic level.

A 5ft 6 woman for example would probably not be interested in the 5ft 5 guy as he has not met her masculinity requirements on that basic level. He lacks dominance in relation to HER.
Reply 6
People can be as discriminating romantically as they are willing to risk dying alone; providing they don't complain, I personally couldn't care less.
Reply 7
@Reality Check Ill never stop tagging you in these.
Original post by ANM775
the reason girls discriminate against shorter guys is because of the masculinity/feminity relationship

masculine = dominant
femininity = submissive

height is one of the ways dominance presents itself

if the female is taller than the male she typically feels more dominant than him on a basic level.

the masculinity/femininity relationship is out of wack and so attraction on her part suffers.

There are small 5ft women who will still sometimes date short men of like 5ft 5.
why? ..yes he is still short, but due to him still being taller than her he is meeting her masculinity requirement on that basic level.

A 5ft 6 woman for example would probably not be interested in the 5ft 5 guy as he has not met her masculinity requirements on that basic level. He lacks dominance in relation to HER.

Aye, someone understood the post! (thank you)

Okay, that's quite interesting stance cheers!
I don’t think girls wouldn’t date you just because you’re not 6 foot, you just have to be taller than them, or even better, taller than them in heels
I’d say ur pretty tall I mean certainly above avg. tbh if a girl is really that bothered about height then she’s clearly shallow and isn’t worth ur time. Personally I really don’t care if ur 4ft or 7ft. Being a bit taller than me is nice but if we’re the same height or ur miles taller than me it’s not a big deal
5’11.5 is perfect, why would you even think you’re short? don’t overthink! :smile:
Mate I'm the same height as you and I used to overthink it too. But it turns out that girls aren't that good at guessing height anyway and most of the ones that say 6ft only wouldn't be able to tell that apart from 5'10 anyway.
Society is sadly too harsh on our shorter bros - I blame Hollywood more than anything for making it acceptable to trash short guys for something they have no control over. At least girls can drastically alter their appearance with breast implants and makeup.
Original post by username2988048

Not gonna lie mate, most people don't even know how tall 6 foot is. Most people who are 5'10.. girls think are 6 foot. Chill you're fine! If you're 5'8 or shorter than it's a noticeable problem for tall girls
Original post by idunno12345
I don’t think girls wouldn’t date you just because you’re not 6 foot, you just have to be taller than them, or even better, taller than them in heels

I dunno why you're bumping a 2-year-old thread but oh well...
Not all women care about height. Just how not all men like big boobs. Get over it
Original post by 1st superstar
I dunno why you're bumping a 2-year-old thread but oh well...

ugh I hate it when this happens. I'm out
didn’t realise how old it was... oh well
My bf is 5'6 and I am 5'5. I love him more than anything also I was the one who approached him! A kind and beautiful personality is what matters the most over heights and looks. Look for a person who would fall In love with your soul

Latest

Trending

Trending