The Student Room Group

Applying for job with a medical condition

Hey there. I have a congenital medical condition and when I started out my software engineering career, the company at the time was flexible and inclusive so it was fine taking days off or WFH. Covid happened and it was great because I could start at 10am instead of 9am or make up hours in the evening. But I left the company, joined one that made me redundant within months and now I am trying to find another job.

I was discriminated against at an interview where they said "because of your condition and you needing to work from home, we can't hire you". Even though they said you can WFH 3 days a week so have no idea what the issue was. Yes some people will say they didn't discriminate against me but I felt hit as a person who is well-abled to work but have some restrictions due to a condition uncontrollably given to me at birth!

How do I approach this question of flexibility when I'm at an interview? Shall I ask at the interview or when they have offered me the position? It's so hard because I don't want to say i have a medical condition and ask for flexible times, only for them to decline me.

Have other people gone through this before? Any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending