The Student Room Group

Engineering rejection?

I am predicted A*AA for my A levels in maths, further maths and physics. I am applying to Bath,Bristol,Imperial,Southampton and Nottingham. Is this a good or bad as 4 of my choices are competitive. How likely is it that i get no offers?
It would depend on each course's requirements, if your predicted grades all match those courses and you have straight As at AS (or perhaps AAAB), then you have a good chance of getting at least one offer.
Original post by Omzie
I am predicted A*AA for my A levels in maths, further maths and physics. I am applying to Bath,Bristol,Imperial,Southampton and Nottingham. Is this a good or bad as 4 of my choices are competitive. How likely is it that i get no offers?

Imperial is a bit of a long shot, as most of their engineering courses ask for A*A*A if you’re only doing three a levels.

Southampton and Nottingham you should be fine for, as long as you have decent GCSEs and a good personal statement.

Not really sure about Bath and Bristol.
Original post by Omzie

which kind of engineering have you applied to?
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
which kind of engineering have you applied to?

aerospace/aeronautical
Original post by Omzie
aerospace/aeronautical

Depends if you're comfortable with having a one grade drop as an insurance choice, i would say it would be a good idea to swap one for something lower if you can find one you ll be happy with.
I would swap out one of Bath, Bristol or Southampton for somewhere with an AAA/AAB offer, maybe even Imperial because it doesn't actually offer a higher quality aero course, the only potential advantages it has are its F1 links and living in London. They each offer quite different courses and locations so it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Personally I would drop Southampton out of those because the course quality isn't great from what I've seen and they really over-advertise what they do have. It's also in a small city which is a thing that a lot of people end up hating, and while Bath is in a similar situation they have a free bus to Bristol so you have easy access to all the things that a larger city brings.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
I got offers from Nottingham and Southampton already and I only had AAA predictions but I received offers less than a week after applying so you should be good, abit of a risk not having an insurance choice just in case? (Although my offer was for biosciences not sure of engineering entry requirements)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Congratulations on your offers. What were your AS subjects and grades if you do not mind me asking?
Original post by Omzie

I think you're good if you're confident about getting the entry requirements. I thought I was reaching with some Russel Groups (like York and Newcastle), but they accepted me. Bath and Imperial seem the most challenging, but I think you have Nottingham and Southampton down. Don't stress.
Reply 10
i got AB (Maths, Further maths). I got a C in physics but universities said AS Physics does not count and they do not look at it because it is linear. I will make Nottingham my insurance AAB offer. Hopefully Bristol accepts me, i really want to go there.
Reply 11
Yh Southampton has great facilities. Only problem is my teacher is deciding whether to predict me an A or B in physics which is really annoying because all of the unis i want ask for an A in physics.

Quick Reply

Latest