The Student Room Group

I rejected my firm choice for my Insurance was this a bad choice?

My Firm was University of Bath and today I was accepted but I rejected it to go to Essex University.

After doing this I feel like I threw away a very great option. One of my friends is going to Essex but i still feel like I have wasted a great opportunity at a great uni, If i go to Essex am I missing out on anything?.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by qwertybot
My Firm was University of Bath, EE Engineering and today I was accepted but I rejected it to go to Essex University Electronics Engineering.

After doing this I feel like I threw away a very great option. One of my friends is going to Essex but i still feel like I have wasted a great opportunity at a great uni, If i go to Essex am I missing out on anything?.

Hi there :hello:

I'm a bit confused because you generally can't reject your firm in favour of your insurance?

Did you find your insurance course in Clearing?
Reply 2
yes I rejected the Firm and applied to my initial insurance offer through clearing.
(edited 8 months ago)
yes I rejected the Firm and applied to my initial insurance offer through clearing.

Ah ok, that makes sense now!

You could ring your firm uni, say you rejected them by mistake, and ask if they'll give you your place back. But they're under no obligation to take you and if you've applied for a Clearing choice (did you do this last month because it's too early to have done that today?) then they might well see through the white lie.

Ringing the uni should be the first step, but if that doesn't work then you probably can't go to the firm choice this year an unfortunate reminder that the Decline My Place option is irreversible :s-smilie:
My Firm was University of Bath, EE Engineering and today I was accepted but I rejected it to go to Essex University Electronics Engineering.

Hi @qwertybot

Congratulations to you, what an exciting time :smile:

My opinion, I don't think you should regret it, you have clearly done this as you think it will be the right opportunity for you.

Remember, you can still "shop around" through ringing different University clearing helplines

Good luck and I'm sure you'll have a great time at University.
Reply 5
What was your reason for doing this? At the time you must have thought it was the right call, so just focus on that. You won't be missing out on anything by going to Essex over Bath, you'll still have an engineering degree at the end of it.

Hey @qwertybot 👋

It feels like a big choice to make but you'll hopefully enjoy the uni experience wherever you go. Having a friend going to the same place will help you to feel a bit more settled and you can involved in our clubs and societies either together or on your own so you can make lots of new friends.

I think it's important to not just do something because your friends are doing it, but it can feel a bit lonely moving to a new place and knowing that you've got a friend at Essex it can make the transition a bit less daunting.

Essex is a fantastic uni and with electronic engineering you'll be at the Colchester campus which is such a fun and interactive place. I've heard good things about the degree, they've spent a lot of money on the facilities through the years.

Make sure you and your friend go to welcome week and the freshers fair so you can get involved and see for yourself what Essex can offer you. There's societies for video game design, robotics, rpg and boardgames, e-sports: so many things you can do to enhance your degree and expand your social network.

Degrees are not set in stone and if you find it's just not for you after the first year then it is quite easy to transfer if that's something you're thinking of doing, but I'd recommend giving it a go first to see how you enjoy the course.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 7

Yes Bath has a brilliant placement scheme.
Reply 8
you did indeed reject a very good engineering school for a less good one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending