The Student Room Group

jump form gcse to a-level (biology)

Biology fascinates me, its my best and favourite science, im rubbish at the others - i just dont understand them
Anyway, im considering biology for a-level alongside history and sociology but im worried that biology will be different from gcse in that its more science-y and detailed if that makes sense - so my question is, what it the jump in terms of what its like in gcse??
I'm dying. Its like a whole different subject...HOWEVER just put your input from day one. I too find biology interesting and fascinating - you learn new things every lesson. It is sciencey but more like a puzzle, as long as you go with it the puzzle pieces fit perfectly. You have lots of woah moments
Original post by erinlucy
Biology fascinates me, its my best and favourite science, im rubbish at the others - i just dont understand them
Anyway, im considering biology for a-level alongside history and sociology but im worried that biology will be different from gcse in that its more science-y and detailed if that makes sense - so my question is, what it the jump in terms of what its like in gcse??

I've recently started AS Biology, under the new specification. Honestly, it is so interesting. The content is so in depth and makes GCSE seem completely lacking in detail. It has a wide mix of anatomical style biology as well as molecular and cellular.
Although, I would say it is very much chemistry influenced and does have a lot of content. I have learnt like three times the gcse within half a module!
The jump from GCSE to A-level is bloody huge not matter what subject you take. My advice is start with 4 subjects at A level than in the first month of study drop the one your struggling with the most.
Hey,

I am in Year 12 and currently studying Biology. There is clearly a jump between gcse and a-level biology but it will just really be an expansion on topics that you may have covered in gcse. E.g. The features of a cell is not only a nucleus, cytoplasm and cell membrane, but a whole lot more.

I believe you may know a bit about prokaryotic cells in your spec. You say biology fascinates you so I would highly reccomend you to take a level biology, because you will learn that there is so much more to biology compared to what you are learnt in GCSE, which, in fact, is fascinating. The content is more detailed, but as long as you are keen and interested in the subject, there should be no problem.

Anyway good luck with your GCSE's.
Reply 5

To be fair, I've only started it and it's a lot harder than GCSE. In addition, you have to be to the dot specific when answering exam question. Personally, Edexcel for A-Level Biology is boring.
Reply 6
I am in year 12 doing Biology, as others said it is indeed a huge jump, there is SO MUCH to learn, that's really the only difference from GCSEs to A levels, there is just more content to learn.
Original post by humanteaparty
The jump from GCSE to A-level is bloody huge not matter what subject you take. My advice is start with 4 subjects at A level than in the first month of study drop the one your struggling with the most.

That is exactly what I did. I just dropped physics today!:smile:

It's exactly the same difficulty since it's like starting year 10 again with prior knowledge from year 9 science but nothing too strenuous just a lot of keywords but if u learn them in context it's easy 😎

The day that mitochondria become more than ‘the powerhouse of the cell’ is a very dark day

At some point your goal is to simply survive the lessons, then consolidate later
(edited 6 years ago)
If you're interested you'll do well. Look at the specifications!
Original post by HeadHoncho
The day that mitochondria become more than ‘the powerhouse of the cell’ is a very dark day

At some point your goal is to simply survive the lessons, then consolidate later

It will no longer be looked at in the same way 😭😭
Reply 12
All subjects are a jump from GCSE to A level, Biology generally isn't too bad. Of course, it gets harder and more 'sciencey' but processes etc are relatively easy to learn and remember. If you enjoy biology, you'll be absolutely fine. Good luck learning immunology :smile:.

Everybody's saying the jump from GCSE biology to A- level Biology is huge. But they all did the old spec and obviously it would be huge for them. But you're doing the new spec which to you may be unfair but it's actually good because it puts you in a good steed for A-level biology as you will be learning some of A- level biology content. I'm in year 11 to and my sister, who is in her second year of college, does Biology and tbh she's so suprised by what we learn. It's quite similar to a few things that she's learning like homeostasis, negative feedback and all that. Obviously it'll be in WAY more detail but that's a good thing. You can't study at the same level you are studying forever. If you really like Biology and you think that it will benefit you in some way then take it. What's the harm. :biggrin::h:
Original post by Faeeza.Ifti
Everybody's saying the jump from GCSE biology to A- level Biology is huge. But they all did the old spec and obviously it would be huge for them. But you're doing the new spec which to you may be unfair but it's actually good because it puts you in a good steed for A-level biology as you will be learning some of A- level biology content. I'm in year 11 to and my sister, who is in her second year of college, does Biology and tbh she's so suprised by what we learn. It's quite similar to a few things that she's learning like homeostasis, negative feedback and all that. Obviously it'll be in WAY more detail but that's a good thing. You can't study at the same level you are studying forever. If you really like Biology and you think that it will benefit you in some way then take it. What's the harm. :biggrin::h:

Yep it's pretty similar u almost get to learn the keywords and how things actually work like those "complicated" looking diagrams used in documentaries that u can actually understand.
Bio is great but chemistry is a different yet familiar beast as well
Original post by Black Water
To be fair, I've only started it and it's a lot harder than GCSE. In addition, you have to be to the dot specific when answering exam question. Personally, Edexcel for A-Level Biology is boring

hey, im thinking of doing edexcel biology for a level, but science isnt excatly my favourite thing. in what way is it boring?

Quick Reply

Latest