The Student Room Group

How to prepare for MML admissions test (Cambridge)?

I have applied to study Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge and I've been trying to prepare for the admissions test.

The thing is, there's only four past papers available online. Is there any other way that I can prepare apart from doing these papers? I've already done two of them and I'm saving the other two for nearer the exam (if I get an interview haha).

Also, how should I set out my answers? I especially have no idea how to set out my answer to the second question (the one where the response should be in English) so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Hey!

I'm applying for MML too! And I'm also saving my last too specimen exams as well!

Upon thinking about it the Cambridge First Language GCSE exams have their texts written in a similar style (only longer) so maybe use those?

In terms of the second question, I would write an overview of the purpose of the text and its overall structure then pick out specific literary techniques from the whole passage and group them together. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by yosoyunica
Hey!

I'm applying for MML too! And I'm also saving my last too specimen exams as well!

Upon thinking about it the Cambridge First Language GCSE exams have their texts written in a similar style (only longer) so maybe use those?

In terms of the second question, I would write an overview of the purpose of the text and its overall structure then pick out specific literary techniques from the whole passage and group them together. Hope this helps!

Thank you! I'll definitely check out the GCSE exams you mentioned. I'm so worried I'll run out of time or something during the actual test :3

Which languages are you applying for? :smile:
Original post by Queen_beee
Thank you! I'll definitely check out the GCSE exams you mentioned. I'm so worried I'll run out of time or something during the actual test :3

Which languages are you applying for? :smile:

Same! But just remember that adrenaline rush you get when you realise you only have five minutes left! I´m applying for Spanish and ab initio
German. You?
Does anyone know how long you are supposed to spend on each section for the MML assessment?
Reply 5
Original post by teenstressaddict
Does anyone know how long you are supposed to spend on each section for the MML assessment?

It says on the specimen paper
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/mml_admissions_assessment_2016.pdf
Sorry just seen that such a stupid question 😫😫
Reply 7
Original post by yosoyunica
Same! But just remember that adrenaline rush you get when you realise you only have five minutes left! I´m applying for Spanish and ab initio
German. You?

I'm applying for Spanish and ab initio German as well! *high five*

How are you preparing for your interviews? I feel like I can get a bit flustered under pressure so I definitely need to work on that :/
Hey! I'm also an MML applicant this year...a couple of my friends who did MML at Cambridge told me to look at the specimen papers, however it's not something you can predict.

It's about how you personally interpret the question, my friends who got in didn't look at the papers much but focused on practising summarising in both english and the foreign language, and thinking of good structures to use etc

Best of luck, don't worry if you're nervous, I am too! :smile: x
Hey everyone! I'm a Cambridge applicant for MML too! I hope to study Arabic and Spanish there but I doubt I'll get an offer! I have looked at the papers but last years paper seems horrid! I feel like I don't have the depth of Spanish vocabulary needed to tackle the question. Any advice?
Hi, quick question about Section A -

It says to write approximately 250 words for section A - is this wanting you to write this much and no more to prove you can be concise, or is it an estimation of how much you will be able to write, so can you go way over if you have the time?
Reply 11
Hi, quick question about Section A -

It says to write approximately 250 words for section A - is this wanting you to write this much and no more to prove you can be concise, or is it an estimation of how much you will be able to write, so can you go way over if you have the time?

Just do what's asked...
Original post by Doonesbury
Just do what's asked...

That's what I was planning but now I've had an email from a teacher telling me different...
Reply 13
That's what I was planning but now I've had an email from a teacher telling me different...

Is your teacher a current MML Director Of Studies? If not, do what the college asks.

They also don't want to wade through 4 pages of someone's answer when they simply asked for a page (or whatever).

Edit: they even put the exam instruction in bold with all capitals...
(edited 6 years ago)
How much do you think is expected for section B? It is meant to take half the time of section A, but then it's in English so you can write more/more quickly... my answers for section B tend to be quite short and I'm worried they're too short :frown:
Reply 15
Hi I’m Chloe and I’m due to sit the mml admissions test this week. The word count for Section A is 250 but does anyone know the word count for Section B or at least what is expected?
Thank you ☺️☺️
Original post by Clw_300
Hi I’m Chloe and I’m due to sit the mml admissions test this week. The word count for Section A is 250 but does anyone know the word count for Section B or at least what is expected?
Thank you ☺️☺️

hey I'm due to sit it tomorrow! idk the answer to your question sorry but good luck! which college have you applied to and for which languages?
Reply 17
I’ve applied to Gonville and Caius for Spanish and ab initio Italian. You?
Original post by Clw_300
Thank you ☺️☺️

me too! I think it can be as long/ short as you want
Reply 19
Does anyone know if Gonville and Caius allow dictionaries tomorrow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending