The Student Room Group

Which universities accept functional skills maths and english

i am currently at college doing a access course to HE diploma science and health related proffessions i do not have maths and english gcse's i have functional skills level 2 in both subjects. i intend to apply for uni to study occupationl therapy. are there any unis that will accept fucntional skills ? i have 4 years background experience in health care and nvq level 2 and 3 social care
Original post by Phidelis
i am currently at college doing a access course to HE diploma science and health related proffessions i do not have maths and english gcse's i have functional skills level 2 in both subjects. i intend to apply for uni to study occupationl therapy. are there any unis that will accept fucntional skills ? i have 4 years background experience in health care and nvq level 2 and 3 social care

Normally the standard is GCSE.

What you need to do is select 6-10 unis you are interested in an check the requirements. It may make it clear. As a rule of thumb the less eilte the uni then the more likely they are to be flexible. I dont believe theres a consolidated list and you will need to do some research as above.

In the event you find a uni you are interested in and it says GCSE only or doesnt mention FS, then contact them as sometimes they can be flexible and will take into account your experience. You have nothing to lose.

In the event you find a uni you are super keen on and they wont budge, then just sit GCSE.
Sorry for updating an old thread. However, I want to add my personal experience in this regard.

Functional Skills are two level 1 or 2. and level 2 is the equivalent to GCSE at grade C or 4 (which is what the Uni want to see).

Now you need to check the university requirements for GCSE
- If they say GCSE at grade C (4) or above then the functional skills level 2 should be ok.
- But if they say the minimum is grade B or above, then the functional skills won't help because its equivalent to grade C, which means you have to re-take your GCSE exam(s)

Most if not all universities won't list the functional skills in their requirements, but if you call them they will tell that they accept it if the course requires GCSE at grade C or above.

The good thing about functional skills is that you can take the exams throughout the year (on-demand booking) including weekends, also you can self-learn it and practice it at home and book the exam privately when you are ready. So you can do it while you say studying a BTEC Diploma.

And be careful applying to a Uni with only Access to HE or BTEC Diploma without GCSE or functional skills you will get rejected straightaway.

GCSE at C (4) or functional skills level 2 is really easy to achieve and there are a lot of useful resources on YouTube explain every question you may face in the real exams.
Reply 3
If you doing functional skill can you become an ODP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending