The Student Room Group

GCSE grades needed for Top Universities?

Im in year 12 at the moment and I’m hoping to go to a top university such as kings college London or Bristol to study Law but I’m unsure if it’s even worth it considering applying to one when the time comes. I know it’s early days and I haven’t even done my AS levels yet but I’m worried that my GCSEs will prevent my chances of even getting considered for a place, for my GCSEs I had:

Maths: E (i know that’s bad but I’m resitting this one)

Numeracy: C

English literature: B

English language: B

Art: B

Geography: D

History: B

Additional science: B

Welsh Baccalaureate: P1 (not sure what that means)

RE short course (half a GCSE): F

And I have a qualification in Equality and Diversity

I know that I certainly didn’t do as good as most people applying for the top universities but I’m wondering if I’ll even have a chance or if I should even consider the top universities. Just to add, for A levels I am doing, History, Sociology and RE/Philosophy and Ethics. Also I heard that top universities ask for a B in maths is this true?
What do you realistically assume you will get in your AS and A levels?
I applied Kings and bristol, for medicine tho, and for bristol its more PS and less GCSE weighting, and kcl average gcse are 8A*s, but thats for my course, i have heard law is competitve too, esp for unis like Kings etc..
Reply 3
Original post by k4yleyh4u00
What do you realistically assume you will get in your AS and A levels?

I’m gonna work my butt off, I seem to be doing well at the moment, I got a B grade on my first History, so that’s a good sign. Also for my GCSEs I didn’t work as hard as I could of because I was unmotivated and wasn’t enjoying what I was learning at all. Realistically I think i can get A A A this year if
I put enough hard work and effort in.
Reply 4
Original post by lolz23489
I applied Kings and bristol, for medicine tho, and for bristol its more PS and less GCSE weighting, and kcl average gcse are 8A*s, but thats for my course, i have heard law is competitve too, esp for unis like Kings etc..

Okay, thank you. So if I get excellent grades for my A levels and have a good PS I should have a chance at Bristol?
Original post by Kleigh01
Okay, thank you. So if I get excellent grades for my A levels and have a good PS I should have a chance at Bristol?

I think, thats just for medicine. Email the university and ask, if you're unsure.
I’m gonna work my butt off, I seem to be doing well at the moment, I got a B grade on my first History, so that’s a good sign. Also for my GCSEs I didn’t work as hard as I could of because I was unmotivated and wasn’t enjoying what I was learning at all. Realistically I think i can get A A A this year if
I put enough hard work and effort in.

If i'm completely honest (in my own opinion), unless you can get around AAAA or something like that and A*AA in your A levels I would think that it would be unlikely to be getting an offer from Kings or Bristol, as they both ask for A*AA and most people applying will probably be holding A*A*A* predictions :/ But dont be discouraged! Work hard and get those grades! I got 4A and 5B in IGCSES, similar situation as you (not caring) and i'm now predicted A*A*A* for my A levels, applying for quite high ranked unis!

Given you get good maths gcse tol yeah! Ik people with like 6A*+ at gcse that got BBB-ABB alevel and didnt bother applying law to top unis as its too risky- if you manage like A*AA or something i dont see why not
Reply 8
Also I heard that top universities ask for a B in maths is this true?

Check the stated entry requirements for each university.

e.g. Bristol
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2018/law/llb-law/

GCSE profile requirements
Profile: No specific subjects required
Further information about GCSE requirements and profile levels for 2018 entry.

English language requirements
If English is not your first language, you need to meet this profile level:
Profile B
Further information about English language requirements and profile levels.
Reply 9
I think, thats just for medicine. Email the university and ask, if you're unsure.

Okay, thank you 😊
Reply 10
If i'm completely honest (in my own opinion), unless you can get around AAAA or something like that and A*AA in your A levels I would think that it would be unlikely to be getting an offer from Kings or Bristol, as they both ask for A*AA and most people applying will probably be holding A*A*A* predictions :/ But dont be discouraged! Work hard and get those grades! I got 4A and 5B in IGCSES, similar situation as you (not caring) and i'm now predicted A*A*A* for my A levels, applying for quite high ranked unis!

Thank you, I’m gonna work my hardest, I forgot to mention I’m also doing Welsh baccalaureate so if I can manage to get an A in that as well that will push me up to 4 As.
Reply 11
Original post by lolz23489
Given you get good maths gcse tol yeah! Ik people with like 6A*+ at gcse that got BBB-ABB alevel and didnt bother applying law to top unis as its too risky- if you manage like A*AA or something i dont see why not

I’m extremely motivated to do it, as it’s something that I really want to achieve.
I’m extremely motivated to do it, as it’s something that I really want to achieve.

Yes do it !! Nothing is stopping you from getting in, believe in yourself :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Doonesbury
Check the stated entry requirements for each university.

e.g. Bristol
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2018/law/llb-law/

GCSE profile requirements
Profile: No specific subjects required
Further information about GCSE requirements and profile levels for 2018 entry.

English language requirements
If English is not your first language, you need to meet this profile level:
Profile B
Further information about English language requirements and profile levels.

Thank you, it states that you need a C in numeracy and English which I both have already, I couldn’t find anything on Maths unless that’s under numeracy
Thank you, I’m gonna work my hardest, I forgot to mention I’m also doing Welsh baccalaureate so if I can manage to get an A in that as well that will push me up to 4 As.

Im doing the WJEC as well! Good luck :smile:
Reply 15
Thank you, it states that you need a C in numeracy and English which I both have already, I couldn’t find anything on Maths unless that’s under numeracy

No, it's saying no specific subjects are required at GCSE at all.

If you are doing well in Y12/Y13 then you can certainly apply.

And if you are unsuccessful in getting 1 or 2 "aspirational" offers then there's always Plan B... re-applying in a gap year with A-level grades actually achieved.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending