The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I hate exams!
It wasn't only Brittish Soldiers who defeated the Nazi's. The USSR played a vital role in winning WW2, but I don't see anyone wearing their poppy to remember them soldier's who fought for our 'freedoms' and 'rights'.

Well, I couldn't really care less about them. They started the war on the other side, were nothing to do with us, committed untold horrors and then spent the next 40 years subjagating millions of people into misery and pointing nuclear weapons at us.
Original post by BlinkyBill
Ahead of Remembrance Day on 11 November, there have been reports that a third of young people will refuse to wear a poppy as 'it glorifies war'.

Do you agree? Will you be wearing a poppy?

what about the guy who wore a white poppy on This Morning the other day?
thoughts?
It wasn't only Brittish Soldiers who defeated the Nazi's. The USSR played a vital role in winning WW2, but I don't see anyone wearing their poppy to remember them soldier's who fought for our 'freedoms' and 'rights'.

The poppy every person and animal that die in war what ever country or side there from. Now go away and read about the poppy and stop writing rube ignorant and disrespectful stuff.
Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349
what about the guy who wore a white poppy on This Morning the other day?
thoughts?

White poppies are the apogee of millenial me-too-ism and self-centredness, the idea that anything can be aped or altered to suit the current indistinct fad of the day. Why not have green poppies to remember all the harm done to the environment or rainbow poppies to remember all the LGBT people killed by the Nazis? It's all about hijacking institutions for their minor political causes dujour.

The USSR murdered and rape million of people when they went into Germany they murdered men and children and rape women and girls.
Original post by looloo2134
The USSR murdered and rape million of people when they went into Germany they murdered men and children and rape women and girls.

Payback's a bi tch(not that I condone that kind of behaviour of course).
Original post by Trinculo
Well, I couldn't really care less about them. They started the war on the other side, were nothing to do with us, committed untold horrors and then spent the next 40 years subjagating millions of people into misery and pointing nuclear weapons at us.

The soldiers who died in the war defeating Nazi Germany aren't responsible for that. Do you seriously not see the hypocrisy of people wearing poppies to remember the British soldier's who fought to 'protect our way of life' but turn a blind eye to others who did just as much, if not more?
The soldiers who died in the war defeating Nazi Germany aren't responsible for that. Do you seriously not see the hypocrisy of people wearing poppies to remember the British soldier's who fought to 'protect our way of life' but turn a blind eye to others who did just as much, if not more?

No. It's not hypocrisy. They didn't do anything for Britain or the (then) Empire. They did it for themselves, having started the War on Hitler's side. And they weren't in any way protecting our way of life, because they went straight ahead and became our sworn enemies for three generations.

The people who helped us were the rest of the Empire, the Poles and the Americans. We don't owe the Soviets diddly squat, nor does anyone else.

Unlike the British Army who have been saints throughout history?
Original post by Trinculo
White poppies are the apogee of millenial me-too-ism and self-centredness, the idea that anything can be aped or altered to suit the current indistinct fad of the day. Why not have green poppies to remember all the harm done to the environment or rainbow poppies to remember all the LGBT people killed by the Nazis? It's all about hijacking institutions for their minor political causes dujour.

The white poppy idea first came about in 1926 and were first sold in 1933.

Not quite sure how you rope millennials into that.
Original post by Drewski
The white poppy idea first came about in 1926 and were first sold in 1933.

Not quite sure how you rope millennials into that.

They wear them now because it's trendy and they love it. Simple as.

if your incapable of understand that poppy is for remembering all the people that die in war. It not worth talking to you good night.

Britain treated prisoners of war well a lot of German prisoners of war in Britain married British women. One former German prisoner who was only sixteen when he was caught wrote about how kind British people were to him.
if your incapable of understand that poppy is for remembering all the people that die in war. It not worth talking to you good night.

That's well and good and it can mean what it wants. But I don't think most people see it as that, I think a lot of people wear it to remember British soldiers. Much like Christmas is technically a Christian festival, and the majority of UK celebrate it, but that doesn't the majority of UK are practising Christians (not the bet analogy but you get the point..)

Britain treated prisoners of war well a lot of German prisoners of war in Britain married British women. One former German prisoner who was only sixteen when he was caught wrote about how kind British people were to him.

That's a cool story, but doesn't mean Britain have acted well throughout History, look at Ireland for example..

That’s not what the people who make poppies and run the appeal say it’s for

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance/what-we-remember/
“The Legion advocates a specific type of Remembrance connected to the British Armed Forces, those who were killed, those who fought with them and alongside them.”

Non armed forces deaths and those of “the enemy are specifically excluded.

The white poppy is for remembrance of all victims of conflict.
Original post by EllieCeeJay
I probably won't be wearing one - I donated money to the cause (about £5 - so more than the cost of a poppy) but I don't want to wear one. For one thing, I don't think we need to wear one to show respect, and I choose to show respect in other ways, such as actually caring all year around, not just on the one day.

I also don't agree with the concept of just remembering British soldiers, as seems to be the norm - if I'm going to participate then I choose to remember everyone who has ever died in a way, whether they be on our side or not. I feel like wearing a poppy is too much of a British thing (which makes little sense, but hear me out). When we're confronted with atrocity, I think it's more important to remember that more than our own soldiers have died. Civilians die too, in the crossfire. We have blown countless Syrian families up.

So no, I won't be wearing a poppy, and I feel a bit dubious about giving money to the British Legion, even though I do to help the charity. That money does go to the army, in some form, and I don't want to be funding them at all. I may support those who have fallen, but I will never support our current army and the work they do. It's murder, pure and simple, whoever's on the other end of the gun.

You are entitled to your opinion, but claiming that the RBL money goes to the Army in some way is misleading. It supports ex service men and women and their families, homes the homeless, provides support to prisoners and is very generous to veterans. To imply it gives money to the army is incorrect. Sure: the army could spend some of its own money in supporting ex personnel but his other fish to fry.

The army and the other forces do more than kill people. They keep the peace in countries round the world. Perhaps we could pull them all out and let all those foreigners just kill each other?
Reply 136
I'm not typically patriotic and I'm fairly lefty, I also don't agree with any of the wars we have been involved in in my living memory, but I do wear a poppy when early November comes around. I completely understand people's arguments that it glorifies war and I respect people not wanting to wear it but I think it means different things to different people. For me it is about individual sacrifices made by family members in WWI and WWII, also by many other very ordinary men and women. It's also a chance for me to reflect on how lucky we are to live in a fairly free and liberal society. I sometimes accompany it with the purple poppy (which is for animals that die in war - particularly the 8 million or so horses that were killed in WWI) and sometimes also the white poppy, so I have a little trio of poppies. I also take part in the two minute silence.
Those who think that this glorifies war need to remember that its purpose is to rememer those who became casualties of conflict and it has nothing to do with glorifying war. In WW1 and WW2, millions of young men on both sides were conscripted to fight when many of them didn't want to. The poppy remembers them and others who died fighting for what they beleived in. For gods sake, stop being PC and just donate to help out causes like this.

That has nothing to do with it. If a member of your family had died or a family friend you would want them to be respected.
Coming from a military family, and knowing many people who either died or sustained life changing injuries from Iraq and Afghanistan, I must say that your attitude to rembrance is offensive.

It is foolish to judge the past by today's moral standards. Hegel believed you can only judge someone by looking at their actions in the context of the time and society in which it is relevent. The British Empire instilled the belief in the British people that they were civilizing the world so their actions were necessary for helping other cultures enjoyed an advanced culture like the one of the English.

Latest

Trending

Trending