The Student Room Group

I struggle a lot in Mechanics 1 but Core Math has never been a struggle.

I always seem to struggle in Mechanics 1 and cannot fully grasp the concepts, Core Math has never been a problem but it terrifies me how I am not able to understand Mechanics the way I want to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

you just need to practice, practice, practice.
same just keep practicing
A lot of people I know had the same issue. Also M2 is very different to M1 so you may understand it with more ease
Original post by meeravirdee
A lot of people I know had the same issue. Also M2 is very different to M1 so you may understand it with more ease

I was like that last year and I had switched to S1. I am not sure if you can. Stats is a lot easier than mechanics.
Not being able to understand the concepts or not being able to answer the questions? The former can't really be addressed with practice, such an approach would encourage you to memorise a method without really understanding it, which may cause you trouble in an exam, but can be addressed by people walking you through questions, say a teacher or a video. (examsolutions, etc.)
Original post by Maks2468
I always seem to struggle in Mechanics 1 and cannot fully grasp the concepts, Core Math has never been a problem but it terrifies me how I am not able to understand Mechanics the way I want to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Why are you doing modules? The spec has changed - or aren't you in England?
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
you just need to practice, practice, practice.

Would you have any tips for me to follow??
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
Not being able to understand the concepts or not being able to answer the questions? The former can't really be addressed with practice, such an approach would encourage you to memorise a method without really understanding it, which may cause you trouble in an exam, but can be addressed by people walking you through questions, say a teacher or a video. (examsolutions, etc.)

Not being able to answer the questions actually.
I can go back to the text book and learn a topic but when it comes to answering the questions, I always seem to get stuck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
Why are you doing modules? The spec has changed - or aren't you in England?

I'm not in England.
In what way has the spec changed though?
You can never be bad at maths, you can only lack experience.
And getting experience comes down to practice.
I'm not in England.
In what way has the spec changed though?

In Engalnd the spec has changed and the modular structure has 'gone' - the A levels exams are taken at the end of Year 13.

For mechanics, draw a decent diagram and you need to be taught well so you understand the principles. What is it you find difficult about M1?

C1 is very straightforward as most of it is in GCSE.
Reply 12
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
You can never be bad at maths, you can only lack experience.
And getting experience comes down to practice.

So what would be your best advice?
Adding on from what Muttley said, diagrams are key to understanding M1 and honestly once you get that skill down it becomes very simple.
So what would be your best advice?

Review exercises in textbooks, if you can't do a question, find a solution bank online, physicsandmathstutor.com has plenty.
Reply 15
In Engalnd the spec has changed and the modular structure has 'gone' - the A levels exams are taken at the end of Year 13.

For mechanics, draw a decent diagram and you need to be taught well so you understand the principles. What is it you find difficult about M1?

C1 is very straightforward as most of it is in GCSE.

That's the spec we're actually doing.
We're doing our finals next year June.

I find vectors, statics of a particle, connected particles and particles on an inclined plane.
Reply 16
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
Review exercises in textbooks, if you can't do a question, find a solution bank online, physicsandmathstutor.com has plenty.

I'll try to do as many review questions from the textbooks and past paper questions.
Thanks for the advice though.:smile:
That's the spec we're actually doing.
We're doing our finals next year June.

I find vectors, statics of a particle, connected particles and particles on an inclined plane.

I thought you were in Year 12 because you mentioned C1 ... you should be on C3 now.

Most students find vectors harder so focus on the other topics first.

All three of the others need good daigrams - at least a third of the page and use a ruler.

You need to be clear if a system is in equlibrium or not.

Statics - system in equilibrium - resolve in two directions and/or take moments about a sensible point. Tell the examiner what you are doing ie moments @ A.

Connected particles - usually system moving so use F = ma on each string - be consistent about direction of accel. and you should get two simultaneous equations. If you add them, the T should be eliminated which enables you to get accel.

On an inclined plane - usually 'on point of slipping' so can resolve parallel and perpendicular to plane. If particle is moving then use F=ma parallel to plane [friction will be limiting] and resolve perpendicular as it is in equilibrium in that direction.
Reply 18
I thought you were in Year 12 because you mentioned C1 ... you should be on C3 now.

Most students find vectors harder so focus on the other topics first.

All three of the others need good daigrams - at least a third of the page and use a ruler.

You need to be clear if a system is in equlibrium or not.

Statics - system in equilibrium - resolve in two directions and/or take moments about a sensible point. Tell the examiner what you are doing ie moments @ A.

Connected particles - usually system moving so use F = ma on each string - be consistent about direction of accel. and you should get two simultaneous equations. If you add them, the T should be eliminated which enables you to get accel.

On an inclined plane - usually 'on point of slipping' so can resolve parallel and perpendicular to plane. If particle is moving then use F=ma parallel to plane [friction will be limiting] and resolve perpendicular as it is in equilibrium in that direction.

Actually in Year 13, we finished C3 about two weeks ago and have already started on C4.

How did you manage to answer the questions in Mechanics 1, was it continuous practice?

Thank you so much for the advice and the information. It's probably the best I've received these past 6 months.
I hope you wouldn't mind me PM whenever I have a question and need an answer from someone else. :smile:
Actually in Year 13, we finished C3 about two weeks ago and have already started on C4.

How did you manage to answer the questions in Mechanics 1, was it continuous practice?

Thank you so much for the advice and the information. It's probably the best I've received these past 6 months.
I hope you wouldn't mind me PM whenever I have a question and need an answer from someone else. :smile:

I teach maths so my A level was before modules!

I had a really good teacher and always enjoyed mechanics and enjoy teaching it now.

Yep that's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest