The Student Room Group

History Dates and Information

Hey guys,
So I was wondering if any of you knew any amazing ways that I could remember dates for History and also important information for GCSE. I am only in year 9 but I want to start early. Please help me out below by saying what you think the best techniques are and also what the GCSE History paper is like.

Thank you in advance xx
Original post by Hannahban04
Hey guys,
So I was wondering if any of you knew any amazing ways that I could remember dates for History and also important information for GCSE. I am only in year 9 but I want to start early. Please help me out below by saying what you think the best techniques are and also what the GCSE History paper is like.

Thank you in advance xx

FLASHCARDS! They're the best way to memorise anything for GCSE and they were my main revision method (for all my subjects)

Also you can create mnemonics/acronyms/sayings etc. to help you remember specific facts if you're struggling. E.g. I used LAMB to remember the main terms of the Treaty of Versailles (Land, Army, Money, Blame). Put the mnemonic on the flashcard and you're sorted. From there you can also make more detailed flashcards of the specific parts - e.g. How much land did Germany lose? Etc.
During my humanities gcse for history in year 9 and Russia unit 1 last year (year 10) I made a big time line for the years covered with key event and put it on my wall. I then read through a year each night, this helped a lot as I got A*s in my exams
Original post by Escherichiaaa
FLASHCARDS! They're the best way to memorise anything for GCSE and they were my main revision method (for all my subjects)

Also you can create mnemonics/acronyms/sayings etc. to help you remember specific facts if you're struggling. E.g. I used LAMB to remember the main terms of the Treaty of Versailles (Land, Army, Money, Blame). Put the mnemonic on the flashcard and you're sorted. From there you can also make more detailed flashcards of the specific parts - e.g. How much land did Germany lose? Etc.

Thank you so much I am definately going to try this, have you taken your GCSE already? If not what year are you in x
Original post by Lowri.frncs
During my humanities gcse for history in year 9 and Russia unit 1 last year (year 10) I made a big time line for the years covered with key event and put it on my wall. I then read through a year each night, this helped a lot as I got A*s in my exams

I am going to try this and do you think they do some online I could use? I am only in year 9 but we have picked all our GCSE and started our course and so far I have learnt about Korea and Vietnam x
Thank you so much I am definately going to try this, have you taken your GCSE already? If not what year are you in x

No probs! Yes, I'm in Year 13 currently so am more than happy to offer GCSE advice :smile:
Original post by Escherichiaaa
No probs! Yes, I'm in Year 13 currently so am more than happy to offer GCSE advice :smile:

If you ever have time I would love to know all the different methods in which you revise for your gcse
I am going to try this and do you think they do some online I could use? I am only in year 9 but we have picked all our GCSE and started our course and so far I have learnt about Korea and Vietnam x

I can’t remember what website I used but it did give key dates, although I still went through my history folder to ensure I had the correct dates and if there were a few missing. If you do find one copy it out by hand rather than just printing it out as this will encourage you to learn the dates as you write them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending