The Student Room Group

ICT A-level vs Computer Science A-level.

I wish to study Computer Science at university, however, my school does not offer Computer Science at A-levels (which is quite frustrating as they offer GCSE Computer Science).

I was wondering that if I studied ICT A-levels, would that disqualify my application for taking on a Computer Science degree later on?

And of course, I understand that Computer Science is the better choice, but I'd also like to know if ICT is still a viable A-level.

Scroll to see replies

Depends on what your other choices are
Original post by Tamrin
I wish to study Computer Science at university, however, my school does not offer Computer Science at A-levels (which is quite frustrating as they offer GCSE Computer Science).

I was wondering that if I studied ICT A-levels, would that disqualify my application for taking on a Computer Science degree later on?

And of course, I understand that Computer Science is the better choice, but I'd also like to know if ICT is still a viable A-level.

No point in doing an ICT A-Level. Use that subject slot to do physics/maths/further maths instead.
Reply 3
Original post by adamantacademic
Depends on what your other choices are

Maths and either Graphics or History.
Reply 4
Computer science degrees ask for maths and usually recommend physics rather than computer science as it is not widely offered. Doing ICT wouldn't disqualify you from doing a degree but it probably wouldn't add anything to your application. Have you considered doing physics instead? How strong is your maths? If you're on track for an 8 or 9, further maths may be helpful.
Reply 5
Original post by ecila21
Computer science degrees ask for maths and usually recommend physics rather than computer science as it is not widely offered. Doing ICT wouldn't disqualify you from doing a degree but it probably wouldn't add anything to your application. Have you considered doing physics instead? How strong is your maths? If you're on track for an 8 or 9, further maths may be helpful.

I have previously thought about taking physics, but I quite enjoy graphics and history and would like to take one of these further on at A-levels.
As for maths, I have the grade required and enjoy studying it too. I don't think I would be able to handle further maths, however.

Now I am wondering that if I took Maths, ICT, and graphics/history, would this suffice?
Reply 6
Depends how high you are aiming in terms of unis.
Almost all of the 'best' unis will want further maths. Surrey doesn't, though, and Surrey is a pretty good university. Take a look around at entry requirements.
Original post by Joannu
Almost all of the 'best' unis will want further maths. Surrey doesn't, though, and Surrey is a pretty good university. Take a look around at entry requirements.

And KCL and Nottingham for that matter.
Reply 8
Original post by Tamrin
I have previously thought about taking physics, but I quite enjoy graphics and history and would like to take one of these further on at A-levels.
As for maths, I have the grade required and enjoy studying it too. I don't think I would be able to handle further maths, however.

Now I am wondering that if I took Maths, ICT, and graphics/history, would this suffice?

If I were you, I wouldn't bother doing ICT. It isn't really relevant and as far as I know, no universities care about if you've done ICT when you apply for Computer Science. I'd suggest you do Maths and then choose two out of Graphics, History and Physics.

[If you really want one do Computer science at A level, you could consider moving to a different school for sixth form, but for the vast majority of universities you won't be at any disadvantage if you don't do Computer Science. As someone else has said, they generally prefer Further Maths or Physics over Computer Science.]
Reply 9
Original post by Joannu

I'm not entirely worried about university rankings. And I'll look into Surrey.
Reply 10
Original post by Joannu

I guess if I had to pick now, I would like to go to Queen Mary. I've looked into it now and they say they look at applicants who have (1) taken Maths (2)taken Computer Science, but IT is fine, too.

I know this response makes my question redundant, but if I was to not take physics and further maths, yet take ICT and Maths, would that be fine?
Don't pick ICT as an A-Level. You'd be better off studying a subject that gives you transferrable skills (such as maths or physics) which will allow you to develop your logical thinking process. This will be so valuable when it comes to studying in your degree.
Reply 12
From what I've gathered, and considering subjects that I'm interested in, Maths, History, and Graphics? And not ICT. At all.
There is no IT A-level anymore anyway.

Any "A-level" being offered by your school would be a BTEC, CamTech or equivalent.

Original post by Tamrin
From what I've gathered, and considering subjects that I'm interested in, Maths, History, and Graphics? And not ICT. At all.

Are you sure on studying computer science at university? (if so, I'd maybe swap one of those)
Reply 14
Original post by _gcx
There is no IT A-level anymore anyway.

Any "A-level" being offered by your school would be a BTEC, CamTech or equivalent.

Are you sure on studying computer science at university? (if so, I'd maybe swap one of those)

I have a strong passion for Computer Science and do extremely well compared to my other subjects, so yes. I am set on studying Computer Science.

Also, that means my school is passing off ICT as an A-level when it really isn't? :frown: I guess I'll have to look into other colleges. At least they cover the content from the ground up.
Original post by Tamrin
I have a strong passion for Computer Science and do extremely well compared to my other subjects, so yes. I am set on studying Computer Science.

Also, that means my school is passing off ICT as an A-level when it really isn't? :frown: I guess I'll have to look into other colleges. At least they cover the content from the ground up.

How do you find maths? If you're aiming for a "top" uni for computer science (saw that you were considering oxbridge in your post history), further maths will work quite nicely. (you'll find that some courses have more of a concentration on mathematics than others) Some will recommend physics like the above, but imo FM is a better choice for CS if you're tossing between the two. The only strong requirement for most computer science courses is a solid A-level in maths, though, and you plan on taking that, so don't fret.

Unfortunately, yes. I'm unsure about the situation if you happen to live in Wales. (I think WJEC might still be offering an IT A-level but their English branch, Eduqas does not)
Reply 16
Original post by _gcx
How do you find maths? If you're aiming for a "top" uni for computer science (saw that you were considering oxbridge in your post history), further maths will work quite nicely. (you'll find that some courses have more of a concentration on mathematics than others) Some will recommend physics like the above, but imo FM is a better choice for CS if you're tossing between the two. The only strong requirement for most computer science courses is a solid A-level in maths, though, and you plan on taking that, so don't fret.

Unfortunately, yes. I'm unsure about the situation if you happen to live in Wales. (I think WJEC might still be offering an IT A-level but their English branch, Eduqas does not)

Ah, thank you, that clears many of my doubts! I understand that FM is quite appealing to universities, but I honestly do not think I would be able to handle the subject, considering many, many other factors. Maths, however, I am comfortable with.

I've also spoken to someone who has studied Computer Science today and they had picked ICT, Maths, and Sociology.

I think I've settled on 3 subjects now. Thank you, everyone.
It shouldn't really be an issue so long as you have maths and a science. Some courses only ask for maths as a required subject. Some favour computer science, but I don't think I have seen any that require it. As some have already said, other preferred subjects are usually further maths and physics.
Original post by Tamrin
Ah, thank you, that clears many of my doubts! I understand that FM is quite appealing to universities, but I honestly do not think I would be able to handle the subject, considering many, many other factors. Maths, however, I am comfortable with.

I've also spoken to someone who has studied Computer Science today and they had picked ICT, Maths, and Sociology.

I think I've settled on 3 subjects now. Thank you, everyone.

good to hear you decided
Original post by Tamrin

Are there no schools around you that offer Computer Science for A-Level?
Anyways, Further Mathematics is regarded as more useful than Computer Science for A-Level, nevermind ICT. But I wouldn't recommend ICT as an A-Level anyway.
I'm currently in Year 11 and I want to take Computer Science, Further Mathematics and Physics for A-Level.

Quick Reply

Latest