The Student Room Group

Can you enter pharmcy with BTEC health and social care and A level chemistry

i did BTEC health and social care in college because i wanted to do nursing in university. however i found out nursing isn't really for rather am very passionate doing pharmcy. i have decided to do A level chemistry alongsie with my BTEC. Do you think i can get into pharmcy with thse qualifications?

your honest answers would be highly appreciated...
Reply 1
Are you going to be studying A-level biology too?
What type of BTEC is it? Level 2, 3?

Pharmacy will be quite competitive, likely in the 140 UCAS tariff point range (new system). The guidance from KCL for Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma is:

DDD with twelve Distinctions in Applied Science and one A level at grade B

or

DDM with eleven Distinctions in Applied Science and one A level at grade A

Subjects offered should include two from Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics, with one of those subjects being offered as the A level and the other being offered within suitable modules from the Applied Science BTEC.

Note: The BTEC in Applied Sciences should cover topics not already covered by the A level. For example, if offering A level Chemistry, the BTEC in Applied Science should cover subjects other than Chemistry.

Also required: GCSE grade 6/B in English language and Mathematics.

So providing you're doing a Level 3 BTEC either Extended or regular Diploma with one of those subjects in the BTEC and are sitting A Level Chemistry with a satisfactory grade for them both it should be doable.

The best advice you can be given here is to check entry requirements for universities and see what they say, along with speaking to your tutors.
Reply 3
Original post by 22sgw
Are you going to be studying A-level biology too?

No, am only studying Level 3 BTEC Health and social care with 1 A Level chemistry..
Reply 4
Original post by Paulington

Pharmacy will be quite competitive, likely in the 140 UCAS tariff point range (new system). The guidance from KCL for Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma is:

So providing you're doing a Level 3 BTEC either Extended or regular Diploma with one of those subjects in the BTEC and are sitting A Level Chemistry with a satisfactory grade for them both it should be doable.

The best advice you can be given here is to check entry requirements for universities and see what they say, along with speaking to your tutors.

hi there, thanks for taking your time to explain this however, i study level 3 BTEC in health and social care not BTEC applied sceince. I've also recently started doing A level chemistry hoping to gain more UCAS points. I think my BTEC health and social care is useless as the course doesn't have any sceince units and an just A level chemistry won't be enough.
Original post by Sahmah77
hi there, thanks for taking your time to explain this however, i study level 3 BTEC in health and social care not BTEC applied sceince. I've also recently started doing A level chemistry hoping to gain more UCAS points. I think my BTEC health and social care is useless as the course doesn't have any sceince units and an just A level chemistry won't be enough.

Unit 5 is science. But yes it does not cater a lot towards science however unit 5 is in depth with all the sciences.

As well as this unit 14 caters towards science too. Just thought I would point it out.
Reply 6
Original post by MiszShortee786
Unit 5 is science. But yes it does not cater a lot towards science however unit 5 is in depth with all the sciences.

As well as this unit 14 caters towards science too. Just thought I would point it out.

am afraid am slowly person but can you explain little more i detail of what are you trying to point out here. Sorry, am really confused and completely missed that.

thank you
am afraid am slowly person but can you explain little more i detail of what are you trying to point out here. Sorry, am really confused and completely missed that.

thank you

Sorry for the misunderstanding. You said health and social care don't have any sceince related subject in there. However I was refuting that as unit 5 is all about science. As well as unit 14.
Reply 8
Original post by MiszShortee786
Sorry for the misunderstanding. You said health and social care don't have any sceince related subject in there. However I was refuting that as unit 5 is all about science. As well as unit 14.

thanks for pointing that out but these units are not science enough to enter with a pharmcy degree. but again thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Paulington

Hi ,
Is it possible to study pharmacy at Kings College and get in with grade 5 in maths and English language when they require a 6?
i did BTEC health and social care in college because i wanted to do nursing in university. however i found out nursing isn't really for rather am very passionate doing pharmcy. i have decided to do A level chemistry alongsie with my BTEC. Do you think i can get into pharmcy with thse qualifications?

your honest answers would be highly appreciated...

could you do pharmacy without the a level chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending