The Student Room Group

Good career path?

hi!, right now i'm a GCSE student and i'm already thinking about my a-levels and uni career. What A-levels should i take to get a place on the University of Birmingham for the accounting and finance degree programme,Right now i am thinking about taking Alevel maths, Economics and Business.However i been told that it is not a good combo,can someone suggest me some good Alevel combos to do which is not super hard but is a good Alevel and quite fun,please bare in mind that i'm not the brightest student, so please don't suggest further maths :smile:
I feel business and economics would be quite similar in terms of A-levels. Perhaps consider geography or history instead of either business or economics if you are interested in those? For an accounting and finance degree, I would definitely say to take and keep A-level maths though.

If you would rather keep essay writing to a minimum and just have either business or economics A-level, perhaps a science such as physics might work nicely for this sort of degree.

Bottom line is, take whatever you are interested most in. It is far better to do this, enjoy what you are studying and come out with good predictions/grades as doing so is more likely to get you offers from unis for this degree course than any ‘specific’ combination of subjects.
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't see anything wrong with those options they are very good if you think you can get all A/A*s with it.

If you're good at essay-based subjects substitute either business or economics with it but only if you know you can do just as good.
Original post by Hal_01
hi!, right now i'm a GCSE student and i'm already thinking about my a-levels and uni career. What A-levels should i take to get a place on the University of Birmingham for the accounting and finance degree programme,Right now i am thinking about taking Alevel maths, Economics and Business.However i been told that it is not a good combo,can someone suggest me some good Alevel combos to do which is not super hard but is a good Alevel and quite fun,please bare in mind that i'm not the brightest student, so please don't suggest further maths :smile:

I would swap out either economics or business, they may be viewed as the same subject to unis (any replacement alevel is fine, chem, physics, history etc etc).

Are you asking if that is a good career path?

if so

1. That isnt a career path just what degree you plan to do
2. The degree is fine, I assume you want to go into accounting or another finance area, in which case it doesnt matter what degree you do just that you go to a russell group if you want to go to a big 4 accounting firm
3. If you want to consider investment banking, aim to go to a target uni (any subject)

EDIT- if you want to become an accountant, I would look at accounting apprenticeships (espcially at the big 4) as you gain more experience and skip the debt, just something to think about, obvs this is just if you are planning on becoming an accountant (so getting your ACCA)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by madmadmax321
I would swap out either economics or business, they may be viewed as the same subject to unis (any replacement alevel is fine, chem, physics, history etc etc).

Are you asking if that is a good career path?

if so

1. That isnt a career path just what degree you plan to do
2. The degree is fine, I assume you want to go into accounting or another finance area, in which case it doesnt matter what degree you do just that you go to a russell group if you want to go to a big 4 accounting firm
3. If you want to consider investment banking, aim to go to a target uni (any subject)

EDIT- if you want to become an accountant, I would look at accounting apprenticeships (espcially at the big 4) as you gain more experience and skip the debt, just something to think about, obvs this is just if you are planning on becoming an accountant (so getting your ACCA)

Thanks for the advice!i appreciate it
'Career path' seems to imply you only want that particular course because you assume it will lead to a job and money. Very few grads walk into jobs anymore.

Who told you it wasn't a good combo? Preconceived notions, biases, etc. are all prevalent among teachers.

Original post by Hal_01

Latest

Trending

Trending