The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Computer Science Applicants 2018

Original post by wqaf
Hey I made a thread of us durham programmers to nerd out What college did everyone apply to? Has anyone gotten their offer yet?

Hi! *waves*

I've applied to St Johns College and am still waiting to hear - not expecting to for a while though as I applied mid-December :smile: what about you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What other Uni's did you guys apply to? Are you planning on having Durham as firm or as insurance?
(edited 6 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by _Ryan_
What other Uni's did you guys apply to? Are you planning on having Durham as firm or as insurance?

I applied to Cambridge (rejected-post interview), Nottingham (Offer), Kent (Offer) and St Andrews - currently leaning towards Durham firm, Notts insurance :smile: what about you? :h:
Reply 3
ah, congratulations on getting to interview stage at Cambridge!

I've applied to Imperial, UCL, Durham, Warwick and Birmingham. I guess I'll probably get rejected from Imperial as I don't do further maths :frown:

Right now I'm torn between firming UCL or Durham, as Durham has only started ranking highly over the past few years, although I much prefer the Durham campus
(edited 6 years ago)
I applied to St. Mary's. No offer yet and applied in October. My other choices were Bristol (offer), Southampton (offer), Cambridge (rejected), and Edinburgh (waiting). Mine are all 2019 entry though so I might reapply to Cambridge next year; I can't quite decide whether the difference between compsci at one of my other choices or compsci and Cambridge is even worth the effort of going through the process again though.
Reply 5
Original post by HernyCrater
I applied to St. Mary's. No offer yet and applied in October. My other choices were Bristol (offer), Southampton (offer), Cambridge (rejected), and Edinburgh (waiting). Mine are all 2019 entry though so I might reapply to Cambridge next year; I can't quite decide whether the difference between compsci at one of my other choices or compsci and Cambridge is even worth the effort of going through the process again though.

Applied to Mary's too!
Reply 6
Is Durham any good for CompSci, their department is a tad small
Original post by Loralite
I applied to Cambridge (rejected-post interview), Nottingham (Offer), Kent (Offer) and St Andrews - currently leaning towards Durham firm, Notts insurance :smile: what about you? :h:

my uni choices (for a different subject) was almost identical to you. i've graduated now but i ended up firming st andrews and making durham my insurance :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by wqaf
It's ranked 4th in the UK
Only behind Imperial and the renowned Oxbridge.

I always heard Durham was in the same league as Warwick or Bristol for CompSci but guess they were wrong :smile:
Reply 9
Got an offer for compSci a few months ago but I made an open application? Should I pick a college? Can I still? If so which is the best for CompSci classes/not sharing a room? I've never been to Durham but I got rejected post interview from Cambridge so rn its my top choice.. still waiting on Imperial. (btw Im from the US)
Reply 10
Original post by wqaf
I've applied to UCL,Warwick,Durham,Bristol and York!
Applied to university but im thinking of changing it to Marys after seeing my fellow programmers go there.

I'm planning on firming UCL and making Durham my backup but nothing is set in stone.

yeah, Mary's is the closest to the science site I believe. Also, are you at all concerned about the low student satisfaction at UCL? That seems like the only thing letting it down
Original post by HernyCrater

Hi Congratulations on all your offers! I am in year 12 and I am going to be applying for compsci at university next year. I was just wondering what A Levels you do and what you put on your UCAS form?
Thanks
Good evening guys!

I applied for Josephine Butler towards the end of September. Just waiting on Durham now as I have offers from Warwick, Bath and Sheffield - rejection from Oxford. Hopefully we’ll all hear soon!
Reply 13
Original post by jamesman13jf72
my uni choices (for a different subject) was almost identical to you. i've graduated now but i ended up firming st andrews and making durham my insurance :smile:

Nice! If you don't mind me asking, what made you choose St. Andrews over durham? :smile:

Original post by wqaf
Aww tough luck about cambridge :frown:
Leaning towards UCL firm and Durham backup but not 100% yet.

What are your predicions/have you done any projects?

Thank you :h: I'm predicted A*A*A and haven't got much experience in CS, however currently trying to learn Python :smile: what about you?
Congrats! Did that literally just come through?
Original post by Loralite
Nice! If you don't mind me asking, what made you choose St. Andrews over durham? :smile:

Thank you :h: I'm predicted A*A*A and haven't got much experience in CS, however currently trying to learn Python :smile: what about you?

So many reasons... (as lovely as Durham is)

1. Scottish degrees are 4 years so less of a rush to go into the real wold. If I'd graduated a year earlier I wouldn't have had those extra months of refining my career plans and wouldn't have got my dream (normal) job.

2. The reason they're longer is because in your first year you study three subjects so you have a chance to change and decide if the course is for you meaning no risk of dropping out

3. See what I wrote about st andrews vs durham here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5145878

tl;dr Durham is like a lovely, posh, university version of a British boarding school. St Andrews has the same elements to it but is also really cosmopolitan and welcoming

Durham was actually my Firm right up until the final few days before the UCAS deadline
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AmmarTa
Is Durham any good for CompSci, their department is a tad small

The department is definitely growing. They became their own independent department this year (I think they were part of the Engineering dept. before that).
Original post by CompSciNinja
The department is definitely growing. They became their own independent department this year (I think they were part of the Engineering dept. before that).

That is a marginal improvement, I'll give them that.
Original post by wqaf
Hey I made a thread of us durham programmers to nerd out
What college did everyone apply to?
Has anyone gotten their offer yet?

Applied to John's in October and got my offer in November. Waiting for college allocation now... :bebored:
Reply 19
Original post by wqaf
***UPDATE***
Just got my offer!!!
AAB with B in any subject.
Standard is AAA so im pretty happy about this. I will most likely be making Durham my backup

congratulations! I hope you don't mind me Asking, but what were your predictions?

Quick Reply

Latest