The Student Room Group

The congress

What is the difference between a ratified law and a law that passed by the Congress?
If you're talking about ratified treaties, they are only passed by the senate whereas laws have to go through both chambers. Also, treaties are proposed by the executive only whereas statute law can be proposed by the executive or members of Congress.
Reply 2
Original post by umbrellala
If you're talking about ratified treaties, they are only passed by the senate whereas laws have to go through both chambers. Also, treaties are proposed by the executive only whereas statute law can be proposed by the executive or members of Congress.

I don't mean the treaties, I meant laws and acts when we say for instance:' a law passed by the Congress' is it the same as a ratified law or the ratified is final and the passed by Congress is waiting for being ratified?
Original post by Maria Mimi
I don't mean the treaties, I meant laws and acts when we say for instance:' a law passed by the Congress' is it the same as a ratified law or the ratified is final and the passed by Congress is waiting for being ratified?

You wouldn't typically use the word 'ratified' for normal statute law. You can only ratify a treaty.
Reply 4
Original post by umbrellala
You wouldn't typically use the word 'ratified' for normal statute law. You can only ratify a treaty.

Thank you so much.
*Correction, if you're talking about constitutional law, they are all ratified by the states as well as being passed through Congress. Sorry I just put 2+2 together with your other constitution thread haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending