The Student Room Group

art a level or photography a level

ok so i've applied for college and i've chosen politics, english and art but i feel like art gcse has taken away my passion for art. basically what i think i'm asking is whether a level art is better than gcse and also if anyone has advice on whether photography will be better. the reason i think i would prefer photography is that i am too much of a perfectionist so i can spend forever making tiny brush strokes whereas i very much enjoy photography and feel like i can spend less time getting good results. any advice is appreciated!
Original post by saffburst
ok so i've applied for college and i've chosen politics, english and art but i feel like art gcse has taken away my passion for art. basically what i think i'm asking is whether a level art is better than gcse and also if anyone has advice on whether photography will be better. the reason i think i would prefer photography is that i am too much of a perfectionist so i can spend forever making tiny brush strokes whereas i very much enjoy photography and feel like i can spend less time getting good results. any advice is appreciated!

You sound like it will take you less effort to get a decent grade in photography. make sue the A levels you choose are suitable for whatever degree you decide on.
Reply 2
well art was supposed to be my 'hobbyish' one as i want to go into politics. i was considering taking history but i don't think i want to do 3 essay based subjects but i suppose i could history or do photography/ art. advice?
Hey, I took art GCSE and decided to pick photography as an A-level, trust me when I say this if you are as much of a perfectionist as I am photography will be time consuming. Reason being that, it doesn’t just consist of taking pictures, there’s the whole presentation of your work especially with layouts, editing and actually going out to different places to carry out shoots, these are all factors you need to take into consideration. However photography is at the same time a creative outlet when doing academic subjects ( I do Maths, Economics and Sociology) and I do enjoy it so if you are great with your time management then choose it because the coursework content s generally the same or even more than Art at Alevel. Hope this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by IssaBlessing
Hey, I took art GCSE and decided to pick photography as an A-level, trust me when I say this if you are as much of a perfectionist as I am photography will be time consuming. Reason being that, it doesn’t just consist of taking pictures, there’s the whole presentation of your work especially with layouts, editing and actually going out to different places to carry out shoots, these are all factors you need to take into consideration. However photography is at the same time a creative outlet when doing academic subjects ( I do Maths, Economics and Sociology) and I do enjoy it so if you are great with your time management then choose it because the coursework content s generally the same or even more than Art at Alevel. Hope this helps.

thank you! i hadn't considered all those other factors in photography so i will bear that in mind when making my decision xx
thank you! i hadn't considered all those other factors in photography so i will bear that in mind when making my decision xx

No problem, I remember having that exact conversation with my self, if you need any more advise just say

Hi, I took Art GCSE last year and I'm currently taking the photography A-level. Most people think that photography is just taking out your phone quickly snapping some photos and you're done, but it's not at all like that. You take a huge amount of effort of planning where you're taking your photos, how you're taking them, what you're taking etc. What sucks compared to Art is that you actually need to be realistic with what you do your project on as there are only so many places you can go (and you actually have to make the effort to go to that place) After you have your photos, you have present them, write about them and do art on them! Even though its photography, its an art based subject and you actually need a lot of art to get the best grade. I don't take Art but people in my class do and they say that there is more work with photography (at least so far in the course). I think it depends because photography can suit some people more but so can art. I suggest you find out more with what the school offers and maybe speak to your teachers? Photography is still a great subject and maybe it would be better because you can include art but also do photography!
Hello! I took Fine Art for a level right at the last minute as I wasn't able to take my first choice which was photography as it didn't fit with the timetable. I am soooooo happy that it worked out like that, I absolutely adore Art. It is honestly SO different from GCSE and WAY better.. you get to choose your own topics to explore and have a lot more freedom as an individual as well as being able to experiment a lot more with different materials and techniques. Even if you want to go into politics, not every single subject has to be related to it, I mean I've applied to uni for nursing and art is not relevant at all!!
Reply 8
Original post by r_finchy00
Hello! I took Fine Art for a level right at the last minute as I wasn't able to take my first choice which was photography as it didn't fit with the timetable. I am soooooo happy that it worked out like that, I absolutely adore Art. It is honestly SO different from GCSE and WAY better.. you get to choose your own topics to explore and have a lot more freedom as an individual as well as being able to experiment a lot more with different materials and techniques. Even if you want to go into politics, not every single subject has to be related to it, I mean I've applied to uni for nursing and art is not relevant at all!!

wow ok thank you! i was worried about the artistic freedom with a level vs gcse so that's really reassuring x
Reply 9
Hi, I know I’m very late on this but I’m studying for my GCSE’s this year and I have had the struggle of picking between photography and art because you can’t pick both, I think you are able to do either in A level anyway so I do have the chance to do both, but I don’t know which one to do when, I have chosen photography GCSE but I still have time to change if I want to, I also have the dilemma of some friends doing photography and some doing art but I know you are not really meant to base your decision on which friends are in which classes, anyway I didn’t know what would be better to do when, and you’ve said that apparently you have much more freedom of what you are doing and topics in A level art than in GCSE art, is that true, I have had this feeling that I should do art GCSE and Photography A level, despite not haven actually chosen that way so that is why I’m trying to look to see whether art would better at GCSE or A level and same with photography, what do yous think?
Hey, I take A level art and I am also a complete perfectionist - but it can be super rewarding if you set yourself a time limit or whatever so the perfectionism doesn't get too consuming. Might be worth considering that photography can have it's place in an Art qualification, whereas it doesn't really work the other way round?
this is all very helpful to read. i am struggling to decide on whether to take art and design a level or photography a level. at our school, we are offered art and design a level and can base our project around photography. but i also have the option to take pure photography a level, which i am guessing has less drawing and painting etc. ... not sure which direction to go in as photography was not an option at gcse so haven't had a taste for it yet :/

Quick Reply

Latest