The Student Room Group

Exeter vs. Glasgow University

Hello there!

I've received my offers for Exeter and Glasgow, among others, in Environmental Science. However, those two are the ones I'm opting for as my firm and second choice. The problem is that I don't know much about either uni, being an international student who hasn't even gone to the open days.

So my question is: Which one would you recommend as my firm choice???

Your advice can be from any POV - I'm just so lost, I have no idea which one to choose, so any help is great!
Reply 1
Glasgow. Don’t go Exeter.
Reply 2
Original post by HateOCR
Glasgow. Don’t go Exeter.

But why? I've seen you say the same thing on many other Exeter threads - why are you against it? Maybe it can help me if you explain further :smile:
Original post by hetimaria
Hello there!

I've received my offers for Exeter and Glasgow, among others, in Environmental Science. However, those two are the ones I'm opting for as my firm and second choice. The problem is that I don't know much about either uni, being an international student who hasn't even gone to the open days.

So my question is: Which one would you recommend as my firm choice???

Your advice can be from any POV - I'm just so lost, I have no idea which one to choose, so any help is great!

Does cost play a role in your decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Does cost play a role in your decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, not really. Luckily, I have great financial stability in my family. However, if there is a LOT of difference between the cost, then I'll obviously be opting for the cheaper uni :biggrin:
No, not really. Luckily, I have great financial stability in my family. However, if there is a LOT of difference between the cost, then I'll obviously be opting for the cheaper uni :biggrin:

Do you qualify as an EU student?
Reply 6
Do you qualify as an EU student?

Yeah, I'm from the EU!!
Then Glasgow will be the cheapest if you are in the EU
Yeah, I'm from the EU!!

In that case Glasgow must be a no brainer. There isn't much between them and Exeter so head north unless there's something you much prefer about Exeter.
Reply 9
In that case Glasgow must be a no brainer. There isn't much between them and Exeter so head north unless there's something you much prefer about Exeter.

Well, I kind of do prefer Exeter because I'm terribly afraid I won't be able to understand what people are saying in Glasgow - I hear they have like the thickest accent in Scotland. And being an international student, it'll probs take me longer to get used to it. :s-smilie: However, Exeter also has its downside, as my subject takes place at Cornwall, not the main campus, meaning that I would be thrown into a very small, tight-knit community and I'm just not confident that I'll fit in. :frown: I've also heard that people in Exeter overall are quite anti-EU, which is very much against my views, coming from the EU lolz!! Even though it's got nothing to do with the academics, the community itself is still quite a big factor for me to consider. Hence, any advice on that?? Which uni seems more fitted for an international student, what do ya think?? :biggrin:
Well, I kind of do prefer Exeter because I'm terribly afraid I won't be able to understand what people are saying in Glasgow - I hear they have like the thickest accent in Scotland. And being an international student, it'll probs take me longer to get used to it. :s-smilie: However, Exeter also has its downside, as my subject takes place at Cornwall, not the main campus, meaning that I would be thrown into a very small, tight-knit community and I'm just not confident that I'll fit in. :frown: I've also heard that people in Exeter overall are quite anti-EU, which is very much against my views, coming from the EU lolz!! Even though it's got nothing to do with the academics, the community itself is still quite a big factor for me to consider. Hence, any advice on that?? Which uni seems more fitted for an international student, what do ya think?? :biggrin:

Glasgow, especially as the Exeter course is in Cornwall. You will soon pick up the Glaswegian accent!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending