The Student Room Group

Car Insurance 17 Year Old

Hi,
Just got my licence and was wondering whats the best way to get a 17/67/18 plate car (Audi A3) at the lowest insurance. Thanks (named driver works too)
Reply 1
Original post by anon7128
Hi,
Just got my licence and was wondering whats the best way to get a 17/67/18 plate car (Audi A3) at the lowest insurance. Thanks (named driver works too)

I'd imagine you'd struggle to get insured for a reasonable price - what do you consider to be reasonable? Have you already bought the car?
Named driver does not work if you're mostly driving it - don't go down that route. Considering by the sounds of it you're buying yourself a new car - you are the policyholder.

Also, buy something else, you're peeing in the wind if you think you're going to get decent insurance on that. If you're lucky, you might get insured on an A1.

And there is no best way apart from shopping around and making phone calls, it's based on individual circumstances - if, like mine, yours suck, there isn't much room to manoeuvre.
Reply 3
In other news... is it the A3 Sportback? If not, LAME, the standard A3 looks boooooring.
Run quotes to find out for yourself. There isn't really a way to cheat the system.

The age of the car in my experience doesn't seem to change a lot. I have 2 cars, a 62 plate Mini Cooper S and an 18 plate (not delivered yet) Volvo S60. Both have about 190bhp but the Volvo is worth £29k, the mini £7k and the insurance isn't too bad for either.

In my experience, Minis and Fiat 500s are cheapest to insure without being rubbish. I will let you know that Audis are largely very boring and being a new driver you will damage it somehow.
Hi,

Named driver does not work if you're mostly driving it - don't go down that route. Considering by the sounds of it you're buying yourself a car - you are the policyholder. Putting yourself as a named driver and someone else as a main driver to get it cheaper is called fronting and it is illegal. Dont go down that route.
Dont get an audi A3 either Get something more normal for a first car. Companies might not insure you on an audi a3. Even if they do, the price aint going to be pretty.
Hi,

If you're thinking of getting your Insurance below £2000 hassle free, think again.

Could you help us by giving us your perception of "low insurance"?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
I'd imagine you'd struggle to get insured for a reasonable price - what do you consider to be reasonable? Have you already bought the car?

£4000 >
Reply 8
Original post by Bulletzone
If you're thinking of getting your Insurance below £2000 hassle free, think again.

Could you help us by giving us your perception of "low insurance"?

£4000 >
Reply 9
Original post by Emma:-)
Named driver does not work if you're mostly driving it - don't go down that route. Considering by the sounds of it you're buying yourself a car - you are the policyholder. Putting yourself as a named driver and someone else as a main driver to get it cheaper is called fronting and it is illegal. Dont go down that route.
Dont get an audi A3 either Get something more normal for a first car. Companies might not insure you on an audi a3. Even if they do, the price aint going to be pretty.

How would you get caught fronting tho?
Reply 10
How would you get caught fronting tho?

If you have a crash, they'll do the digging, and in the vast majority of cases, they'll figure it out - you'd then have your policy voided.

Don't be the reason our premiums are going up year on year.
Original post by IWMTom
If you have a crash, they'll do the digging, and in the vast majority of cases, they'll figure it out - you'd then have your policy voided.

Don't be the reason our premiums are going up year on year.

This. Seriously don't chance it. These guys are paid a lot of money to dig and they're damn good at it. They can probably tell me the last time I farted in my car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending