The Student Room Group

Doritos to launch "lady friendly crisps"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dez
Nobody bats an eyelid about Pepsi Max. I don't really see what's so different here. :erm:

But surely Pepsi Max wasn't marketed as something 'for women'? :lol:
Reply 21
Original post by EmilySarah00
But surely Pepsi Max wasn't marketed as something 'for women'? :lol:

No it's marketed as something for men. Diet Pepsi is predominantly bought by women.
Original post by Dez
No it's marketed as something for men. Diet Pepsi is predominantly bought by women.

Hm... I'm more than likely too young to remember the Pepsi advertising campaigns. That being said they definitely weren't recent, which is probably why this one is kicking up more of a fuss, since in this decade there's been a lot of push on gender equality. For someone to then come out and say women need daintier crisps seems a bit daft.
Original post by Dez

Don't expect that to continue for long though.....https://www.asa.org.uk/news/new-rule-to-ban-harmful-gender-stereotypes-next-year.html
If it was 'man friendly' there would be a sh1t storm.

I'm done.
Reply 25
Hm... I'm more than likely too young to remember the Pepsi advertising campaigns. That being said they definitely weren't recent, which is probably why this one is kicking up more of a fuss, since in this decade there's been a lot of push on gender equality.

Fair point, but there are plenty of other examples of gendered products out there: toys, cosmetics and so on. There might not be quite so many when it comes to food there's still quite a few, especially in the snack aisles. Walkers Max and McCoy's sit on the same shelf as Doritos planned new product would.

For someone to then come out and say women need daintier crisps seems a bit daft.

Just as a point of clarity, what was said in the interview is that women are more likely to buy "dainty" crisps, according to their research. Not that they need them.

Advertisement is not the only form of marketing. Far from it really. This ruling won't make as big of a difference as you might expect, though it's still a step in the right direction, I think.
prolly gonna contain some estrogen
Since when were crisps gendered?:rant:
:rolleyes: Patronising and annoying
Brilliant marketing/ advertising technique, grab everyone's attention with a sensitive social issue (maybe even make people angry) and you have more attention on your product.
Doritos are horrible anyway I wanna get rid of the things. Everywhere I go someone's eating a packet and they ****in stink!!!!
Reply 31
Original post by RivalPlayer
I don't see what all the fuss is about. As usual, the perpetually offended can't help themselves.

Indeed. I do find it quite funny tbh,
@Danny Dorito is already a lady crisp
Original post by CoolCavy
@Danny Dorito is already a lady crisp

PRSOM
It’s not April fools yet though.....bye
Eat your Doritos properly ladies.
I AM OFFENDED BY THIS ON SO MANY DIFFERENT LEVELS!

This lady does not need a crisp that makes less of a crunch and I have no shame in licking my fingers!
Original post by the bear
crumbs

Well, if I haven't seen anything so pithily put.

Quick Reply

Latest