The Student Room Group

Long Road or Hills Road?

I'm having guidance meetings for both institutions, but I'm not really sure which place is the best. I'm interested in more academic subjects, but my grades aren't exactly 9's...

I'm predicted 6's and mainly 7's, one 8 in history (i know that's not academic though). I'm predicted 6's in bio and chem but somehow a 7 in physics (dunno how i got that in the mocks!)

I really want to study Chemistry, Biology and Pschology (or sociology)... Ahh anyone else in this situation?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
If you get in to hills go to hills. Youre gonna have to get 7s in bio and chem though to do them.

- from a hills kid
Reply 3
Original post by chumnies
I'm having guidance meetings for both institutions, but I'm not really sure which place is the best. I'm interested in more academic subjects, but my grades aren't exactly 9's...

I'm predicted 6's and mainly 7's, one 8 in history (i know that's not academic though). I'm predicted 6's in bio and chem but somehow a 7 in physics (dunno how i got that in the mocks!)

I really want to study Chemistry, Biology and Pschology (or sociology)... Ahh anyone else in this situation?

As a sixth form student in the area, I do have to say that hills and long road aren't the only viable options. This used to be the case but over the years new sixth forms have appeared around the area that are arguably nearly just as good as hills.

I mean, if you can get into hills road, then go. It isn't very hard to get into it, you just need to get the grade that are required for you to study that course; however, it isn't the amazing institution that you may think it is.
(edited 6 years ago)
I go to long road and I love psychology! The college has so many great teachers. I don’t really like sociology because it has a lot of politics and business involved which I can’t get my head round.

Obviously I can’t speak for hills road but I can say that I recommend long road
Reply 5
Original post by KatelynWayman
I go to long road and I love psychology! The college has so many great teachers. I don’t really like sociology because it has a lot of politics and business involved which I can’t get my head round.

Obviously I can’t speak for hills road but I can say that I recommend long road

Awesome, I picked that as one of my options, as well as Chem and Bio!
Reply 6
Original post by stoyfan
As a sixth form student in the area, I do have to say that hills and long road aren't the only viable options. This used to be the case but over the years new sixth forms have appeared around the area that are arguably nearly just as good as hills.

I mean, if you can get into hills road, then go. It isn't very hard to get into it, you just need to get the grade that are required for you to study that course; however, it isn't the amazing institution that you may think it is.

Mhmm. I did apply for Netherhall as well as Hills, but my problem is that I'm usually a slow learner, and I sometimes do independent learning at home so i know what I'm doing... I feel like Long could support me a little more but idk about Hills..
Original post by chumnies

I'm going to long road in September to do photography, drama and theatre and graphic design, so I'm not exactly in your situation, but, I have heard that Hills Road is better for the academic subjects and not so good on the arts, but in my opinion it doesn't matter where you go as long as you are responsible for your own performance. So choose the place that you liked more regardless of their reputation.
Reply 8
Original post by byzan
I'm going to long road in September to do photography, drama and theatre and graphic design, so I'm not exactly in your situation, but, I have heard that Hills Road is better for the academic subjects and not so good on the arts, but in my opinion it doesn't matter where you go as long as you are responsible for your own performance. So choose the place that you liked more regardless of their reputation.

Trueem, my parents want me to go there for the reputation but in Long i can study biology, chem and psychology which i couldn't do in hills (just because of one subject i was slightly under in!)
I also go to long, I am actually having to redo my gcse's as I got a 5 in math's and needed a 6 for my chosen subjects, from what I can see at long (after being there for a year) is it is really good for people who are clever but don't want a lot of stress, by that I mean it is more laid back, the teachers give enough work and guidance that you'll get the grade you'll need (I can say this as i have gone from getting a c in chemistry to being predicted an A), without having a lot of stress. Now it really depends on the person and how they cope. As I take a train from King's Lynn to Cambridge and a lot of my friends from Lynn take the train with me from them I see the workload and the stress there is at hills, My brother went to hills, and from what i can remember he was always studying. I am in the same position as you but flipped, Long doesn't Do computer science but hills does so i have applied to both, but my mum is saying from what she saw of my brother she would rather me stay at long as there is more support and less stress. What i would say for you is choose the one you'll think you'll do best at a more laid back environment or a academic environment and whatever you choose you'll get the best grade you can.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest