The Student Room Group

Advice for PhD (Electri & Electro Engineering) please?

Hi,I am going to start my PhD in April however I still have to choose my topic and supervisor...

In one side I can work with electric vehicles; meeting/minimizing energy consumption, controlling supply/demand/frequency/voltage.. other smart-grid based technologies also to be investigated (distributed generation, PV, solar, storage and more..)

In other side I can work with Multiphase Induction Motor Drives or Distributed Generation using direct Torque Control techniques, fuzzy logic algorithms, neuro-fuzzy artificial intelligence stuffMy opinion: I don't know which side is easier, both sides sound really interesting (but difficult at the same time). I have no background with programming/coding in c++, c# or python, so I definitely don't want to learn it only for a PhD as I have no interest in it. MATLAB/SIMULINK is probably recommended for both sides, but I have a very little knowledge in it as well.

The main problem is, both supervisors for both sides are good, but they are strict with marking/helping so I can see myself being in big trouble. Also if any of these sides require coding or writing lines of codes, I know I will not enjoy and most likely fail my PhD due to stated reason above. Eventually I have to choose one of these topics and any advice is highly appreciated.Thanks for reading.
Original post by meyra31
Hi,I am going to start my PhD in April however I still have to choose my topic and supervisor...

In one side I can work with electric vehicles; meeting/minimizing energy consumption, controlling supply/demand/frequency/voltage.. other smart-grid based technologies also to be investigated (distributed generation, PV, solar, storage and more..)

In other side I can work with Multiphase Induction Motor Drives or Distributed Generation using direct Torque Control techniques, fuzzy logic algorithms, neuro-fuzzy artificial intelligence stuffMy opinion: I don't know which side is easier, both sides sound really interesting (but difficult at the same time). I have no background with programming/coding in c++, c# or python, so I definitely don't want to learn it only for a PhD as I have no interest in it. MATLAB/SIMULINK is probably recommended for both sides, but I have a very little knowledge in it as well.

The main problem is, both supervisors for both sides are good, but they are strict with marking/helping so I can see myself being in big trouble. Also if any of these sides require coding or writing lines of codes, I know I will not enjoy and most likely fail my PhD due to stated reason above. Eventually I have to choose one of these topics and any advice is highly appreciated.Thanks for reading.

You need to work out if you need any coding and if you can get support for it if needed. Otherwise you will have to find other topics. Not sure what you mean about being in trouble with marking?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
You need to work out if you need any coding and if you can get support for it if needed. Otherwise you will have to find other topics. Not sure what you mean about being in trouble with marking?

Well the main problem is that they don't know whether I will need coding/programming in my PhD. I guess even if that is a requirement I can still ask for a different path and get away without writing hundreds/thousands of codes.

I meant being in trouble if I am required to write thousands of codes. I mean I am doing electrical engineering, not a software or computer engineering..
Original post by meyra31
Well the main problem is that they don't know whether I will need coding/programming in my PhD. I guess even if that is a requirement I can still ask for a different path and get away without writing hundreds/thousands of codes.

I meant being in trouble if I am required to write thousands of codes. I mean I am doing electrical engineering, not a software or computer engineering..

At this level and above you will find that most things are multi or cross disciplinary and can’t really be put into field specific boxes. It sounds like you may end up with some coding anyway so if you’re interested in this field it may not be a bad idea to learn it and it will probably make you more employable. Other things to consider when choosing are supervision styles and development opportunities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending