The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

private rented accommodation

I have a daughter who is currently in her first year at University of Greenwich, and will be glad to get out of Halls of Residence and into private rented accommodation. Don't get me wrong there is nothing physically wrong with Halls, but my daughter is not the smoking, and partying type. She is shy, but once she makes friends, she makes friends for life. However, she finds that the constant partying, loud music, lack of consideration for fellow students who are studying, and the constant fire alarms that are going off during the small hours of the night annoying. She is struggling to find good quality, private rented accommodation within her budget for September 2018. What advice would everyone give?
Reply 1
Original post by Maryellen98
x

She could perhaps get a group of friends together and share a house/large flat privately. It'd reduce the price she has to pay herself but also stay with friends and away from halls.
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Reply 2
Original post by 8472
She could perhaps get a group of friends together and share a house/large flat privately. It'd reduce the price she has to pay herself but also stay with friends and away from halls.

Thank you for your advice. Unusual that you should mention this, She
has just got to know another student, (yesterday) who is also living in
Halls (same Halls as my daughter), and who also happens to be studying the same degree as my daughter. This fellow student is also
unhappy/unsettled with Halls, and they have decide to "club together" to look for accommodation. However, what my daughter has found so far, hasn't been recommended by the other student. My view is that you
can't have your cake and eat, as I feel that the other student has a very
tight budget, but is looking in areas close to campus, which are all above
the rent she is willing to pay. However, I suppose it is early days yet.
Reply 3
Original post by Maryellen98
Thank you for your advice. Unusual that you should mention this, She
has just got to know another student, (yesterday) who is also living in
Halls (same Halls as my daughter), and who also happens to be studying the same degree as my daughter. This fellow student is also
unhappy/unsettled with Halls, and they have decide to "club together" to look for accommodation. However, what my daughter has found so far, hasn't been recommended by the other student. My view is that you
can't have your cake and eat, as I feel that the other student has a very
tight budget, but is looking in areas close to campus, which are all above
the rent she is willing to pay. However, I suppose it is early days yet.

Yeah. It's what usually happens after the first year. You've had time to settle and build friends. You don't want to be in halls so you share a place :h:
It's certainly one of the downsides of a london uni having to pay so much but as you say, you're a student on a limited budget, you can't exactly be looking for a penthouse in the Shard. Hopefully she'll have another friend or 2 want to join her in renting then perhaps over summer she can save as much as possible for second year accommodation. Just make sure in the end your daughter will be equally sharing bills ect plus she's sure about who she wants to live with.
how much rent is she willing to pay?
Reply 5
Original post by cherlloydfan
how much rent is she willing to pay?

Ideally she is looking to pay between £650-£670 per calendar month. She is also looking in the SE10 area to save on commuting costs
oh cos i have a room in south woodford for £550 a month bills included
Reply 7
Thank you for letting me know. When I chat to my daughter today I will discuss it with her.
Reply 8
Most people grab a few friends and their househunt together.

If she's studying at Avery Hill, there's quite a lot affordable in the area, i think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending