The Student Room Group

TV license pestering me -.-

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ezisola
Plugging a tv into a skybox would likely prove that installation intent.

I disagree, you can watch boxsets and catch-up on Sky which doesn't need a licence.
Original post by Duncan2012
I disagree, you can watch boxsets and catch-up on Sky which doesn't need a licence.

Correct, but you can also walk around a housing estate at midnight with a backpack full of tools purely for the purpose of home maintainance... however if the police search you then they're gonna charge you for being equipped for burglary.

The law specifies intent, and having such a device plugged in is a pretty strong indicator of intent, whether correct or not.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ezisola
Correct, but you can also walk around a housing estate at midnight with a backpack full of tools purely for the purpose of home maintainance... however if the police search you then they're gonna charge you for being equipped for burglary.

The law specifies intent, and having such a device plugged in is a pretty strong indicator of intent, whether correct or not.

I disagree that having a Sky box connected to a tv demonstrates any negative intent. An individual could legitimately say 'it was there to watch Sky boxsets and Catch-up'. I don't know if there's any case law on this, but I agree it would be more difficult to argue that if there's an aerial attached though.
Original post by Ezisola

Not having a TV license isn't illegal even if you do have a TV connected to a aerial

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending