The Student Room Group

Failed my application for medicine in the UK, looking for alternatives.

Hey, I'm a final year biomed student and looking for alternative universities in Europe offering medicine in english. I came across Charles University in Prague and I know its a well known university but I see people complaining about the system and on how they treat students. I also saw that the European University in Cyprus offers medicine and when I went to visit (I live in Cyprus) their facilities were extremely modern with advanced technologies.

So I'm wondering, should I go for a well known more prestigious medical school which is a bit tougher because of the system? Or should I go to a less well known less prestigious, but very modern and new university? Do you think the degrees will have a difference in the end?

Any other recommendations?
Reply 1
Original post by marioslemon
Hey, I'm a final year biomed student and looking for alternative universities in Europe offering medicine in english. I came across Charles University in Prague and I know its a well known university but I see people complaining about the system and on how they treat students. I also saw that the European University in Cyprus offers medicine and when I went to visit (I live in Cyprus) their facilities were extremely modern with advanced technologies.

So I'm wondering, should I go for a well known more prestigious medical school which is a bit tougher because of the system? Or should I go to a less well known less prestigious, but very modern and new university? Do you think the degrees will have a difference in the end?

Any other recommendations?

Is the other one GMC approved? You don’t want to do a degree and the GMC doesn’t allow you to register.

That’s all I can offer.
Either way at the end of it you will be a doctor.
I'd go for the one you prefer, if going around Cyrpus's one really excited you and the prospect of studying there seems good then I'd go there
I’m not sure if it helps but QMUL in London has a campus in Malta which you may wanna look into
Reply 4
Original post by S.G.
Is the other one GMC approved? You don’t want to do a degree and the GMC doesn’t allow you to register.

That’s all I can offer.

Yeah true, How do I find out?
Reply 7
Original post by djdubzzy
I’m not sure if it helps but QMUL in London has a campus in Malta which you may wanna look into

Definitely checking it out. Thank you!
Go onto study medicine europe they can guarantee entry if you pay a small fee, they also provide numerous services with the fee that you pay. They are representatives of medical schools in Bulgaria and Romania that teach the courses entirely in English. They also have open day events around the UK where you can meet current students of universities abroad and representatives of the universities as well. I hope this helps 😊.
I really cannot understand why people with degrees don't apply to grad med in Ireland? Is it just unknown ? I'm a final year in Ireland. The training is as good if not better in some cases then the UK, its exactly the same course as St Georges London, you come away just as good as your UK counterparts from a respected country and bank funding is now available to UK students.

Why go to Eastern Europe etc as a grad? when you can just hop over the water. Get yourself 55/56 in GAMSAT and you are guaranteed a spot.
Original post by jacky12345
I really cannot understand why people with degrees don't apply to grad med in Ireland? Is it just unknown ? I'm a final year in Ireland. The training is as good if not better in some cases then the UK, its exactly the same course as St Georges London, you come away just as good as your UK counterparts from a respected country and bank funding is now available to UK students.

Why go to Eastern Europe etc as a grad? when you can just hop over the water. Get yourself 55/56 in GAMSAT and you are guaranteed a spot.

I'm graduating on June and I'm not sure if I have enough time to prepare for the GAMSAT on September. How did you find it? I was also thinking of applying for undergrad medicine in Ireland because the HPAT is on February. Do you think i'll have more chances for the undergrad? Or should I go for the GAMSAT?

Thanks for your reply btw :smile:
Undergrad is cheaper than the U.K. ~£2500/y but arguably harder to get in to. You’ll likely need A*A*A*a (used to be 4A*) plus be in the top 20% or so of HPAT takers. Post-grad is on the other hand less competitive partly due to the high fees which approach (someone correct me if I am mistaken) £15,000/y. Dublin is mightily expensive too, although not as bad as London. But yeah, if you’re a graduate then you’ve already committed to spending a lot of money so in terms of bang for your buck Eastern Europe probably isn’t the number one destination. You want to enjoy your time as well right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending