The Student Room Group

how do you answer the 'why do you want to be a doctor question?'

Any ideas guys?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Probably with your own honest answer from the heart?
Reply 2
An honest answer which you can relate to a personal experience.
Original post by Pab12344
Any ideas guys?

I mean... Why do you want to be a medic? Can you not answer that question yourself?
The definition of a doctor is "a person who is qualified to treat people who are ill." You might want to be a doctor because you love to help people, be of service. You want people to live life to the fullest. You want to improve people's quality of life. Give people the best chance in life. Have you watched Patch Adams? It's based on a true story. He says "You treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you, you'll win, no matter what the outcome. I have no clue how to answer that question, but if you watch Patch Adams, you'll have many answers. I don't know because I'm not brave enough to have life or death put into my hands.
Reply 5
“I’m a beast at operation and i’ve watched every episode of greys anatomy”
Original post by cat_mac
“I’m a beast at operation and i’ve watched every episode of greys anatomy

Pfffttt... House MD is much better :borat:

It's not Lupus!
Ahaha! I actually know nothing about cars so have never spoken to a car sales person - but I can see it! Maybe I should rethink my hobbies and career goals.
Reply 8
Thank you guys
I don't know if this is too long or not for an interview question

My initial thoughts on medicine were stimulated at a very young age, watching my neighbor battling cancer for 5 years or so. Having listened to her talking about the immense help of the entire healthcare professional especially the doctors, it made me want to pursue a career in which it will help me reward valuable to society by being at the frontier into protecting and helping save people’s lives making a positive impact as well as hopefully bringing a smile to relatives faces and patients. Furthermore, medicine is a very fascinating and active subject as the result of the constant new scientific discoveries. Therefore due to my interests in science and the human anatomy, which I developed by reading articles on BMJ, I can conclude that medicine is a greatly fulfilling subject in terms of my interests and a career path that I would be greatly dedicated into following.
Reply 9
Thank you guys
I don't know if this is too long or not for an interview question

My initial thoughts on medicine were stimulated at a very young age, watching my neighbor battling cancer for 5 years or so. Having listened to her talking about the immense help of the entire healthcare professional especially the doctors, it made me want to pursue a career in which it will help me reward valuable to society by being at the frontier into protecting and helping save people’s lives making a positive impact as well as hopefully bringing a smile to relatives faces and patients. Furthermore, medicine is a very fascinating and active subject as the result of the constant new scientific discoveries. Therefore due to my interests in science and the human anatomy, which I developed by reading articles on BMJ, I can conclude that medicine is a greatly fulfilling subject in terms of my interests and a career path that I would be greatly dedicated into following.

Do you know what an "interview" is?
Reply 10
Original post by Profesh
Do you know what an "interview" is?

Do you have any ideas how to shorten it down?
x
Do you have any ideas how to shorten it down?
x

"Because my parents threatened to disown me when I suggested that other career-paths also exist."
if you're not sure then why try and become one?
Reply 13
The person's only asking for help/advice no need to be so obnoxious.

From what I've read most unis don't buy into the "always wanted to help people", "have an interest in science". They find it very cliché, and have heard it all before. Which is why you should try to be original and come up with a sincere response, not too long. Something that includes the real reasons you want to purse a career in medicine.
for the money and *****es
plenty of money, hitting 100k is very doable over your career, I know people making twice that as contractors or running GP surgeries where your basically a CEO.
starts with a b
Original post by HateOCR
An honest answer which you can relate to a personal experience.

don't make it cliché tho! e.g 'I want to become a doctor because when I was 8 year old I had appendicitis, stayed in hospital for 3 days, and I really want to give back for what the doctors did for me'

ew that made me sick just writing that!hahahha
I've a long way to go until medicine interviews but I'd say something about:
- wanting to have the great responsibility of making patients recover. you might have someone rushed into the a&e with a serious life-threating condition and what you do in the hospital could make the difference between the patient going back to their family or passing away.
- how human biology got you interested in something relevant such as anatomy, physiology, endocrinology.
- (this point is quite personal) i grew up around grandparents who suffered from illnesses: my grandmother has diabetes and my granddad had alzheimers. the doctors always came around and helped them get better by prescribing medicine, offering hospital care and i would like to give something back by using my time to improve the lives of other elderly people who are going through the same thing :smile:

what i would not say (even if one of them is a motivating factor, which it probably is):
- any reference to money
- career stability
- prestige
(edited 6 years ago)
The more honest your answer, the more likely the interviewers will believe you. Trust me, they can sniff a generic applicant from a mile away

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending