The Student Room Group

Mission: Impossible - GCSEs (GYG)

I'm short and I'm stilll wishing for a miracle growth spurt...

I do modern calligraphy, kinda. (for fun)

Apart from that... I am sarcastic, laugh a bit too loudly, occasionally rude and desperately want to get better grades and make myself and others proud.
I should also be studying right now for I have a quiz on Vectors for Maths tomorrow but my brain decided that this was the perfect time to sign up for GYG which I've actually been looking at and getting inspired from for a long time but have never had the courage to join. However, since it's Year 11, might as well jump in.
SO I am hoping to motivate myself and not humiliate myself in front of many people... I'm not very good at that.

Me in my natural habitat:

Let's get onto the fun stuff!

My Subjects:

Spoiler

My Mocks: (Don't Cry)

Spoiler

Now that you've seen some very embarrassing numbers, let us focus on the bright, notes-filled future!
We shall aim for the peaks of the Everest and climb hard!

Hated Subject is Spanish, it goes in one ear and comes out the other but my stupid ass picked it so... can't really blame anyone else.
And you will be hearing a complaint about it every chance and post I make, don't worry!

Oh, just a warning, not every post is gonna be about studying, kay?!

27th April 2018:

So, I just got my conditional offer from my 6th form!
However, I need to get at least a 6 in 8 subjects ( at least) to get in to the 6th form so... very conditional...
And physics is really competitive since they only accept 16-18 students... so I need to get quote high in that...

I'm scared!

I've chosen:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
good luck!! you can do this :dumbells:
Original post by Rachana.L

I'm short and I'm stilll wishing for a miracle growth spurt...

I do modern calligraphy, kinda. (for fun)

Apart from that... I am sarcastic, laugh a bit too loudly, occasionally rude and desperately want to get better grades and make myself and others proud.
I should also be studying right now for I have a quiz on Vectors for Maths tomorrow but my brain decided that this was the perfect time to sign up for GYG which I've actually been looking at and getting inspired from for a long time but have never had the courage to join. However, since it's Year 11, might as well jump in.
SO I am hoping to motivate myself and not humiliate myself in front of many people... I'm not very good at that.

Me in my natural habitat:

Let's get onto the fun stuff!

My Subjects:

Spoiler

My Mocks: (Don't Cry)

Spoiler

Now that you've seen some very embarrassing numbers, let us focus on the bright, notes-filled future!
We shall aim for the peaks of the Everest and climb hard!

Hated Subject is Spanish, it goes in one ear and comes out the other but my stupid ass picked it so... can't really blame anyone else.
And you will be hearing a complaint about it every chance and post I make, don't worry!

Oh, just a warning, not every post is gonna be about studying, kay?!

Welcome to GYG! Looking forward to seeing some of your calligraphy *(I too am a stationery addict)* :biggrin:
Original post by nyxnko_
good luck!! you can do this :dumbells:

Thank You!!
Hopefully, I can!:^_^::^_^:
Original post by Fox Corner
Welcome to GYG! Looking forward to seeing some of your calligraphy *(I too am a stationery addict)* :biggrin:

I hope I don't disappoint with my calligraphy skills, they're still quite amateur...

Nice to meet a fellow addict here!
My first update! (Am I doing it right? We are just supposed to type in the reply box, right?)

Well, either way, here I go:

Today was unentertaining, to say the least. I went to school and came back home and proceeded to do nothing for a few hours, to be honest.

However, as I said in the first post, I was procrastinating for my vectors revision. Indeed I did have my mini test today. It didn’t go as terribly as I had thought, I was able to answer everything except the last question which I was faintly sure of the solution process but I just couldn’t put it down on paper.

My Spanish teacher also talked about the foundation and higher papers today. The terrible thing was that she wanted to put me in for the Foundation Paper!! :frown::afraid:

Like, Say What?!

The reason why was because I didn’t get any higher marks in the Mocks for Listening and Reading and whilst I see that, I think with even a bit of revision, I should hopefully be able to pass the higher paper since I do alright with the class work.

Thankfully, I have managed to convince her otherwise so I will be doing the Higher Paper... honestly one of the reasons was my stubborn pride, I cannot handle the thought of doing Foundation so from now on, I think Spanish will become more of a priority!

Apart from that, there's not much.
But I did want to give you a bit of an insight into my daily life. I do bullet journaling in order to organize my thought and keep track of things in addition to my school diary which has my homework.

So I thought I would show you my Bullet Journal that I have done so far this week!

Attachment not found

Do you like it, I'm trying to do a black and white theme this month!
And I have a deep love for quotes...

Anything else?
Nope, that's all!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
the photo doesn't show??? maybe it's the app :s-smilie: I'll check on the website later :smile:
Sounds like maths went well!
We all have to have priority subjects, especially at GCSE - just put a couple extra hours in for spanish and you'll soon convince your teacher that you're gonna ace it!
Unfortunately the photo doesn't show - could you explain "bullet journal"? - I'm intrigued! :facepalm:
Love deep quotes too - looking forward to seeing some :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Martins1
We all have to have priority subjects, especially at GCSE - just put a couple extra hours in for spanish and you'll soon convince your teacher that you're gonna ace it!
Unfortunately the photo doesn't show - could you explain "bullet journal"? - I'm intrigued! :facepalm:

you should just search it up :smile: it's a type of diary/planner thing that's been trending with the study community (as well as other ones) for a while so if you just type it into pinterest or even youtube, something will come up. I think there's even an 'official' website by the guy who supposedly started the whole bullet journal thing. imo, it's been around for ages but he's just the one who formally set it out or something idk..
Original post by nyxnko_
you should just search it up :smile: it's a type of diary/planner thing that's been trending with the study community (as well as other ones) for a while so if you just type it into pinterest or even youtube, something will come up. I think there's even an 'official' website by the guy who supposedly started the whole bullet journal thing. imo, it's been around for ages but he's just the one who formally set it out or something idk..

Ooh I had a look (at the "official" website guy). Interesting, but far too organised for my style haha!
Ooh I had a look (at the "official" website guy). Interesting, but far too organised for my style haha!

:laugh: What do you use to keep track of your stuff?
Original post by nyxnko_
:laugh: What do you use to keep track of your stuff?

I try and keep things in my memory. Sometimes I make lists, but that's only rarely and for academic work. Generally I keep it in my mind... or just forget.
I try and keep things in my memory. Sometimes I make lists, but that's only rarely and for academic work. Generally I keep it in my mind... or just forget.

I try not to do that because my mind tends to get a bit cluttered...
Original post by nyxnko_
I try not to do that because my mind tends to get a bit cluttered...

Haha same but despite the 90 thousand attempts I've made to declutter my life with organisational notes, I never stick to them past a day...

Thank you!
I have started putting in more effort towards Spanish where I can, especially with apps and websites such as Babble and Duolingo.
Hopefully, I will improve in the little time I have...
Bullet journal is just a fancy to-do list with doodles, tbh.

My deep quotes are mostly taken from the internet so they probably won't hit you right in the heart but have fun reading them, they're generally related to how I feel that day.
Haha same but despite the 90 thousand attempts I've made to declutter my life with organisational notes, I never stick to them past a day...

Honestly, I relate to this so much. My notes are a mess, my journal has weeks missing from when I just go MIA.
I actually write everything in post its and throw it away. I should just start planting trees soon...

16th February 2018

I’m a horrible person. I know that and I fully acknowledge it. I have been meaning to write this post for the last 3 or 4 days and I have not had a single chance to!

This holiday has just been a rollercoaster of events which is not how I planned it to go at all! I had a revision plan all set out but then guests came over and more or less every moment has been spent traipsing around the town looking at the hotspots and taking care of the kids.

But plans never do go according to plan (the irony) so I can’t say this was completely unexpected...

That being said, our guests have just left so I can start cramming my revision in now and actually write a post! I’ve only actually posted here twice and I’m so disappointed in myself. It’s been over a week!!

Many apologies.

Continuing...

This week, as I said above, I have tried putting an effort in for Spanish, especially with things that are quickly done such as flashcards.

Vocabulary is a huge part of the learning so I have things like Memrise and Quizlet where I have the vocab from the specification that I’m going through and also the top 5000 spoken words in Spanish since I remember hearing from somewhere that most spoken 5000 words account for around 98% of the language.

You know what, I could’ve completely made that up and nobody would be the wiser... most certainly not me.

Apart from that, I haven’t done much. However, I do have many plans for today which hopefully won’t be overkill and start getting me motivated again!

So... To-Do's: (I’m literally copying from my Bujo rn...)

Absolute Musts:boing:

Maths Homework (Surds #1,-2 if possible
Some personal stuff (sorry...can’t tell you, will probably take an hour at most)
Macbeth Homework
Spanish Worksheet
Another post about Philosophy Structure & End of Day Completion!

If I have time/Can :redface:

Read about Taiwan Earthquake
Make flashcards about Nepal Earthquake Case Study
Mind Map quotes for English Lit (Quickly-to remember)

Fun Fact:
I'm Nepalese, I actually came to England at around age 9, it was a huge culture shock, lol.
And when I had to do the Geography Case Study... :colone:

Music: (Huge part of my life so I thought I’d include this from now on).

Rewrite the Stars (The Greatest Showman Soundtrack)
This is Me (The Greatest Showman Soundtrack)
Naked (James Arthur)

Has anybody watched The Greatest Showman?

I am obsessed with the Soundtrack, hopefully, I can watch the movie soon, it looks amazing!

(edited 6 years ago)
Nepalese? cooool :smile:
all the best with year 11, can't wait to see some of your bullet journaling, i was gonna start one but then realised i have commitment issues ahaa
I haven't watched it either :s-smilie: but everyone says the soundtrack is really good. i've heard it and it didn't really click for me... so maybe i'll feel differently when i do watch the movie :tongue: but you've done a lot more than i have in the last few days... :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending