The Student Room Group

Help on A Levels for law!!

Basically I'm in year 12 studying English Lit, History, Geography and Religious Studies but I want to drop history now. It literally makes me so miserable but I don't know whether I should. I was going to drop RS at the end of the year but I know that I'll get a better grade in it than history. I'm worried that if I carry on with four it will affect all the grades. I know that there are no specific subjects for law and all four of those are considered good subjects but like english and history are probably the best for it. I want to get into a top uni like UCL so would it make a difference???
soz this is long, any help would be appreciated:smile:)
Reply 1
Original post by asiao1
Basically I'm in year 12 studying English Lit, History, Geography and Religious Studies but I want to drop history now. It literally makes me so miserable but I don't know whether I should. I was going to drop RS at the end of the year but I know that I'll get a better grade in it than history. I'm worried if that I carry on with four it will affect all the grades. I know that there are no specific subjects for law and all four of those are considered good subjects but like english and history are probably the best for it. I want to get into a top uni like UCL so would it make a difference???

I was made offers from Oxford, UCL, LSE and King’s for Law so hopefully I can help!

I do Law, Psychology, Sociology and History but I have now decided (quite late I admit) to drop History because I find it too much. There’s no real ‘correct’ subjects for Law. People at the Oxford interviews made some very snide remarks about my subjects and I was still offered a place! They’re looking for how you can relate your subjects to the Law and most importantly for a passion for the subject. The LNAT will also weigh on your success.

My best advice is, if you hate history, maybe try and do an AS but just drop it. It’ll be hard to motivate yourself and it is difficult to do 4.
Original post by asiao1
Basically I'm in year 12 studying English Lit, History, Geography and Religious Studies but I want to drop history now. It literally makes me so miserable but I don't know whether I should. I was going to drop RS at the end of the year but I know that I'll get a better grade in it than history. I'm worried that if I carry on with four it will affect all the grades. I know that there are no specific subjects for law and all four of those are considered good subjects but like english and history are probably the best for it. I want to get into a top uni like UCL so would it make a difference???

History is no good for you if you wont get the required grade. You still have to facilitating subjects so you will be fine. I do think History is very useful, but iy will be fine to drop it. Look up the entrance requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by ruthflame57
I was made offers from Oxford, UCL, LSE and King’s for Law so hopefully I can help!

I do Law, Psychology, Sociology and History but I have now decided (quite late I admit) to drop History because I find it too much. There’s no real ‘correct’ subjects for Law. People at the Oxford interviews made some very snide remarks about my subjects and I was still offered a place! They’re looking for how you can relate your subjects to the Law and most importantly for a passion for the subject. The LNAT will also weigh on your success.

My best advice is, if you hate history, maybe try and do an AS but just drop it. It’ll be hard to motivate yourself and it is difficult to do 4.

Your offers are so good!! Thank you so much for that, it has helped! I really want to be able to do it but I don't find it interesting at all and quite hard to learn. I have a mock tomorrow and I've spent ages trying to learn the work! My main concern is that if I carry on with four I might end up getting lower grades for AS. I was also thinking that because I'll also have a qualification in Welsh Baccalaureate, it wouldn't be that bad but I really don't know!
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
History is no good for you if you wont get the required grade. You still have to facilitating subjects so you will be fine. I do think History is very useful, but iy will be fine to drop it. Look up the entrance requirements.

I've looked at UCL and all four of my subjects are on the list so I thought it would be ok. But yeah I agree that it is useful but I just really don't want to do it. Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by asiao1
Your offers are so good!! Thank you so much for that, it has helped! I really want to be able to do it but I don't find it interesting at all and quite hard to learn. I have a mock tomorrow and I've spent ages trying to learn the work! My main concern is that if I carry on with four I might end up getting lower grades for AS. I was also thinking that because I'll also have a qualification in Welsh Baccalaureate, it wouldn't be that bad but I really don't know!

They only make you an offer for 3 grades so you absolutely do not need 4! You need to do what’s best for you. Some people manage 4 but most people have other things like extra-curricular activities or a part-time job to worry about too which makes the work load incredibly hard.
Reply 6
Original post by ruthflame57
They only make you an offer for 3 grades so you absolutely do not need 4! You need to do what’s best for you. Some people manage 4 but most people have other things like extra-curricular activities or a part-time job to worry about too which makes the work load incredibly hard.

Yeah I think I'm going to talk to my teacher about it. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest