The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Uni of York - chances of getting first choice accommodation

Would be really interested to hear from current first year students at York as I think the process is the same for this year.
When did you apply? (1st day, in July, insurance etc)
Which accommodation are you in?
Was that your first, second, third choice etc?

Thank you!
Original post by EY1001
Would be really interested to hear from current first year students at York as I think the process is the same for this year.
When did you apply? (1st day, in July, insurance etc)
Which accommodation are you in?
Was that your first, second, third choice etc?

Thank you!

Wouldnt you be better just ringing the accommodation office and making a polite enquiry if it doesnt tell you on the website?
Don't forget you will need a deposit. read the process carefully and just make sure you are quick and have everything to hand when you know your results.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Wouldnt you be better just ringing the accommodation office and making a polite enquiry if it doesnt tell you on the website?

It doesn't tell you on the website. The accommodation office say that 75% of people who applied by July got one of their first three choices but there were a lot of people on here last year looking to swap or disappointed with what they got. Also some accommodation choices are far more popular than others so proportionally more people who put that as their first choices are going to be disappointed. So I think the question is valid.

Don't forget you will need a deposit. read the process carefully and just make sure you are quick and have everything to hand when you know your results.

Yes I know this and have an unconditional so know I'll be going.
Original post by EY1001
Yes I know this and have an unconditional so know I'll be going.

If its unconditional and you have made it firm , then check if you can apply now. You usually can. the details will be n the website or they can tell you on the phone. The other thing you need to know is if its first come first served, which it usually is but varies between unis. the answer is probably on the website, but you are just as capable as I am at reading the content.
Reply 4
If its unconditional and you have made it firm , then check if you can apply now. You usually can. the details will be n the website or they can tell you on the phone. The other thing you need to know is if its first come first served, which it usually is but varies between unis. the answer is probably on the website, but you are just as capable as I am at reading the content.

No you can't apply until it opens in May and then it's by day not time. Unconditionals do not get preferential treatment. I have read the website thoroughly and asked questions of the accommodation team but the answers they give are quite general with regards to the chances of getting your top choices. I know self catered, en suite on campus west is very popular so that's why I'm interested to hear from some actual students.
Original post by EY1001
No you can't apply until it opens in May and then it's by day not time. Unconditionals do not get preferential treatment. I have read the website thoroughly and asked questions of the accommodation team but the answers they give are quite general with regards to the chances of getting your top choices. I know self catered, en suite on campus west is very popular so that's why I'm interested to hear from some actual students.

If you can apply in May and they do first come first served (which they can tell you), then you have a massive advantage as the vast majority will not be able to apply and be allocated until August when they are confirmed. You should be able to get that much out of them. They know, students will not. That is because they deal with the applications and know the numbers.
I went on an Applicant Visit Day last weekend and they explained the process. The online booking for accommodation opens on the 9th of May - the day after the UCAS deadline for choosing your firm and insurance unis closes. It *is* first come, first served (they did say the numbers in terms of how many apply on the first day and first week, but I can't remember; just send your booking off as soon as possible!), and firm applicants are considered before insurance applicants. You place your room choices in order of preference, and the rooms can be of any specification (i.e. you could put down all en-suites if you chose to do so, or put down all the room options for one college if you liked that college). Also, you can edit your booking after you've sent it off in case you want to change some things.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
If you can apply in May and they do first come first served (which they can tell you), then you have a massive advantage as the vast majority will not be able to apply and be allocated until August when they are confirmed. You should be able to get that much out of them. They know, students will not. That is because they deal with the applications and know the numbers.

Everyone can apply in May - no one gets allocated until August. I don't understand why you have such a big problem with me asking current students for their feedback. Students will know whether they got their first choice or not and when they applied. I realise it won't be statistically valid but I'm interested in hearing people's experiences as it could help me with my choices
Reply 8
Original post by Sycaphore
I went on an Applicant Visit Day last weekend and they explained the process. The online booking for accommodation opens on the 9th of May - the day after the UCAS deadline for choosing your firm and insurance unis closes. It *is* first come, first served (they did say the numbers in terms of how many apply on the first day and first week, but I can't remember; just send your booking off as soon as possible!), and firm applicants are considered before insurance applicants. You place your room choices in order of preference, and the rooms can be of any specification (i.e. you could put down all en-suites if you chose to do so, or put down all the room options for one college if you liked that college). Also, you can edit your booking after you've sent it off in case you want to change some things.

I went on the visit day too so I heard this too but for example Vanbrugh self catered is very popular and it looks like can only take up two of your choices. If people are currently in this accommodation who put it third I would stand a very good chance of getting it f I put it first or second and applied on opening day. That's the sort of information I'm looking to glean! Sounds like it's a long shot but I thought it was worth asking...
Original post by EY1001
Everyone can apply in May - no one gets allocated until August. I don't understand why you have such a big problem with me asking current students for their feedback. Students will know whether they got their first choice or not and when they applied. I realise it won't be statistically valid but I'm interested in hearing people's experiences as it could help me with my choices

I have zero problem you asking current students, but the people in the know are accommodation and some diplomatic enquiries should get you a better insight into yo I cant see why they would have any difficulty indicating the allocation policy as plenty of unis do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending