The Student Room Group

Year 10, am I good enough?

I want to get into a college where they only accept all A’s/1 or 2 B’s applicants.
I moved to London 6 months ago. Having to get used to a new language and curriculum was tough but now I am getting ahead. About 2 months in and I had my first assessment week where I got
Religious studies 6=
English lit 4=
Maths 3+
Combined science overall 4=
Drama B
French 4=
English language 4+
History 4=
Do you think I can turn them into A’s by the end of year 11?
Bare in mind that I didn’t revise at my full capacity as 1) did not know how...2) I would have had to revise the whole of year 9 materials...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Mike_M202
I want to get into a college where they only accept all A’s/1 or 2 B’s applicants.
I moved to London 6 months ago. Having to get used to a new language and curriculum was tough but now I am getting ahead. About 2 months in and I had my first assesment week where i got
Religious studies 6=
English lit 4=
Maths 3+
Combined science overall 4=
Drama B
French 4=
English language 4+
History 4=
Do you think I can turn them into A’s by the end of year 11 ?
Bare in mind that I didn’t revise at my full capacity as 1) did not know how...2) I would have had to revise the whole of year 9 materials...

YES! Your grades are absolutely fine, trust me!But please, please, please, listen to me, START REVISING NOW. Make revision notes and flashcards now, so that when you are in year 11 you can just focus on past papers.I promise you, if you get all the content aside, you will achieve those grades, if not, better. I am in year 11 and I want top grades aswel, I am expected to get As and Bs aswel, however, I am pushing for 8s/9s.One mistake I made, is not revising in year 10, however I am striving and God willing, I do achieve those grades, it just would’ve been easier if i had revised in year 10.
Believe me, you can achieve anything and everything, push yourself and put the work in now.
Tbh, Im not gonna sugercoat this or anything but your grades seem abit meh, like you are predicted a 4 but you want to get a 7/8? I mean if you are exceptional at revising for the next couple of months then yh can be possible
get off TSR for starters
In retrospect, I have some revision advice:
1. Try to get ahead if you have time: you will want some time at the end of year 11 when you feel that you know everything already
2. Although online flashcards on quizlet can be useful, especially for French, don't let them be your only method of revision (make physical flashcards for some subjects too) because eventually school will let you start revising in some lessons, and they usually won't let you use online flashcards for that.
3. Surprisingly few students know this: on your French syllabus, there is literally a list of every single word you need to know for the listening/reading exams. Learn these words, and you're sure to do fine. Occasionally, teachers give you lists of words that are not on this syllabus. Don't spend so much time on them.
4. Learn the markscheme for English lit and lang. The markscheme doesn't really change between years, so it'll be very helpful.
And in terms of learning a new pack of flashcards (roughly 100 cards?) quickly:
Start by testing yourself on all of them. Put them in a certain pile if you get them right and in a different pile if you get them wrong. Immediately, re-review all the ones you got wrong and if you get them right, move them to the right pile. Continue until you have gotten everything right. The next day, only review the ones you got wrong on the first day, putting things into a long-term right pile if you have gotten them right two days in a row. Continue doing this day after day until all cards are in the long-term right pile. At this point, you may feel that you have forgotten some of the ones you initially got right (or maybe not!) so start the whole process again. Keep repeating until you know it all.
Reply 6
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Tbh, Im not gonna sugercoat this or anything but your grades seem abit meh, like you are predicted a 4 but you want to get a 7/8? I mean if you are exceptional at revising for the next couple of months then yh can be possible

Those are not my predictions, they are my first assessment grades ( which I took after 2 months in London. Coming from Romania ) My history teacher said the college would be good for me and when I saw the grades you have to get I was shocked but she said I can get even higher than A’s which for me sounds ridiculous...
(edited 6 years ago)
Those are not my predictions, they are my first assesment grades ( which i took after 2 months in London. Coming from Romania ) My history teacher said the college would be good for me and when i saw the grades you have to get I was shocked but she said i can get even higher than A’s which for me sounds ridiculous...

Thats the teachers way of giving you hope to do better and improve your current grades, dont listen to what she says, I mean yh u can if u want to but I wouldnt bcuz at the end of the day what happens when you dont get the A's, fingers go back to the teacher and how she put false thoughts inside your head. I would aim for the grades that I know I can get, not as high as A's but as high as C's and work your way up slowly
Dude you could get a whole set of 9s if you really want them. Your thoughts are more powerful than you think they are. They are the fuel to your motivation. You have to want them to have the motivation to do the work needed to get them.
Reply 9
Original post by purpleunicorns
In retrospect, I have some revision advice:
1. Try to get ahead if you have time: you will want some time at the end of year 11 when you feel that you know everything already
2. Although online flashcards on quizlet can be useful, especially for French, don't let them be your only method of revision (make physical flashcards for some subjects too) because eventually school will let you start revising in some lessons, and they usually won't let you use online flashcards for that.
3. Surprisingly few students know this: on your French syllabus, there is literally a list of every single word you need to know for the listening/reading exams. Learn these words, and you're sure to do fine. Occasionally, teachers give you lists of words that are not on this syllabus. Don't spend so much time on them.
4. Learn the markscheme for English lit and lang. The markscheme doesn't really change between years, so it'll be very helpful.
Thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to try and learn the English mark scheme as for the French syllabus I already made some quizlets on the word list :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by rickyrossman
Dude you could get a whole set of 9s if you really want them. Your thoughts are more powerful than you think they are. They are the fuel to your motivation. You have to want them to have the motivation to do the work needed to get them.

Thank you for the motivation! You have no ideea but I WANT IT!
Thank you for the motivation! You have no ideea but I WANT IT!

Make a plan to get the grades. Think about:
- revision/study techniques
- when/where you're gonna study
- what you're gonna study
- how long you're gonna study.

For the last point, I'd recommend a minimum of 60-80 hours per subject.
If you want to go from C's to A's in 3 months you will need to work hard.
The OP has said that they are in year 10 though. So, in a year and 3 months it's definitely possible, especially as they're new to the country!
Reply 14
1 year and a half *
Original post by purpleunicorns
The OP has said that they are in year 10 though. So, in a year and 3 months it's definitely possible, especially as they're new to the country!

1 year and a half *

Ah yes, didn't realise. He's got plenty of time then. Summer Holidays will give you plenty of time to catch up if needed.

Quick Reply

Latest