The Student Room Group

Does resitting an A level subject mean I'm not good enough for medicine?

I felt disheartened when someone told me to forget doing my gap year and take up a clearing offer since I can't even get the grades first time. I could've taken my biochem offer but I'm set on med. I'd be miserable doing just lab work on a daily, i hate it. I am a straight A student, great GCSE's and I think I'm decently bright. I was 10 marks off an A in maths which kinda sucks. Was devastated but it is what it is. Grade boundaries this year were high.

I definitely believe in myself that I can do well, I'm a hard worker and love studying. Any other year that mark would've been an A but tough luck. Was the person just being realistic? Am I not good enough for med then?
Original post by Anonymous
I felt disheartened when someone told me to forget doing my gap year and take up a clearing offer since I can't even get the grades first time. I could've taken my biochem offer but I'm set on med. I'd be miserable doing just lab work on a daily, i hate it. I am a straight A student, great GCSE's and I think I'm decently bright. I was 10 marks off an A in maths which kinda sucks. Was devastated but it is what it is. Grade boundaries this year were high.

I definitely believe in myself that I can do well, I'm a hard worker and love studying. Any other year that mark would've been an A but tough luck. Was the person just being realistic? Am I not good enough for med then?

Check in the medicine forum for medical schools that accept resits.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi 👋

Don’t let yourself get discouraged I am 33 and have 5 children I didn’t do very well at school now my children are in school I have completed and access course and am now studying midwifery at Bournemouth University
I again didn’t do so well on my access course as I had a death in the family which affected me quite abit but even with these hiccups I got a place on a foundation year leading onto the full time midwifery I am on now they look at grades but also your interview and personal statement hold most of the weight
You said you are hard working and love to study and that’s a great start for medical degrees don’t let other people stop you going for your dreams
Good luck in whichever path you choose to take 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending