The Student Room Group

Urgent help with a-level choices

So I am easily subconsciously influenced by what people tell me to do and what others do. I'll see something say that computer science is good at uni and suddenly I want it? My mother wants me to do medicine and due to this idea Im suddenly liking it but I don't know if im liking it for all the good reasons and these past few years I have no passions. I used to love art (I am doing it for a GCSE but i cant be inspired or motivated to do it) and ,reading and i have a small spark/love for literature and philosophy and archaeology. I am also worried about my career but I shouldn't cuz Im too young to be doing that. I think I want to pick, chemistry, biology and english literature and if Medicine ends up being my passions will I still get into UCL or KCL or do they really only take people with maths instead of the english literature I want to take.

I really do enjoy biology. Chemistry is mehhh, I'm excelling in it but I don't know if I love it.

The reason I'm only picking 3 subjects is due to how hard I have heard 4 A-levels is now due to the changes. so any advice or similar experiences do people have?
Original post by durararara
So I am easily subconsciously influenced by what people tell me to do and what others do. I'll see something say that computer science is good at uni and suddenly I want it? My mother wants me to do medicine and due to this idea Im suddenly liking it but I don't know if im liking it for all the good reasons and these past few years I have no passions. I used to love art (I am doing it for a GCSE but i cant be inspired or motivated to do it) and ,reading and i have a small spark/love for literature and philosophy and archaeology. I am also worried about my career but I shouldn't cuz Im too young to be doing that. I think I want to pick, chemistry, biology and english literature and if Medicine ends up being my passions will I still get into UCL or KCL or do they really only take people with maths instead of the english literature I want to take.

I really do enjoy biology. Chemistry is mehhh, I'm excelling in it but I don't know if I love it.

The reason I'm only picking 3 subjects is due to how hard I have heard 4 A-levels is now due to the changes. so any advice or similar experiences do people have?

Hi There,

I certainly think that taking some time to try and figure out your future career may be helpful at this stage and will allow you to take A-level subjects that fit in with your career goals.

Often the best decision is a well-informed decision and by doing some research and exploration into careers this might really help you pick your A-level subjects.

If you do decide to pursue Medicine, Biology and Chemistry are important subjects and it will depend on the University you are applying with as to whether or not they need to have Mathematics but many don't have this as a requirement.

If you would like to start exploring your career options our service is here to help and you can chat to an adviser through our website -

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

You might also find this Career Quiz by SACU useful as a starting point - http://sacu-student.com/

Best of luck!

Sophie - National Careers Service

Quick Reply

Latest