The Student Room Group

Anyone else NOT stressed about GCSEs?

I’ve been thinking about this and it sounds kinda strange but I’m not stressed at all and my GCSEs are in less than 3 months. It’s not that I’m finding them especially easy (although they’re not particularly difficult for me either), I just don’t feel the need to work that hard and stress about exams. I know what I have to work on but I don’t feel any pressure tbh. Compared to my friends, I’m pretty chill, and have generally less work to do. Unfortunately this means I get bored and I can’t meet up with them coz they’re always busy :frown:. I mean that they (well one of my friends) can’t spare 3 hours on the weekend to celebrate their birthday?! Is that crazy or am I just way too relaxed and should be doing more work? Also I can’t be the only one who’s not stressed out (yet) about GCSEs?!
I’m not stressed about GCSEs. Although that could be something to do with the fact I completed them about 4-5 years ago.
Reply 2
Original post by Andrew97
I’m not stressed about GCSEs. Although that could be something to do with the fact I completed them about 4-5 years ago.

Oh lol that doesn’t count 😂
Reply 3
yh same I think you should start stressing about a levels early
Hmm I sat some last year and I’m taking some this year.

To me it sounds as if you’re having one of two things:

1) A delayed reaction. You’ll be like you are now for another few weeks and then you’ll start to panic. I’d say watch out with this, because you don’t want it to be too late. Even though you’re chill, still start preparing with enough time in advance.

2) You’re genuinely just one of the lucky ones who doesn’t let this awful system get to them. And, for your sake, I genuinely hope it’s the latter!

Don’t worry about what’s normal and what’s not. In any event, everyone interprets and responds to exams differently. It’s a good thing that you’re calm. You’ll probably be more receptive to learning and do better ultimately, and GCSEs aren’t always the be all and end all!

All the best.
Reply 5
Original post by ethistu7
Hmm I sat some last year and I’m taking some this year.

To me it sounds as if you’re having one of two things:

1) A delayed reaction. You’ll be like you are now for another few weeks and then you’ll start to panic. I’d say watch out with this, because you don’t want it to be too late. Even though you’re chill, still start preparing with enough time in advance.

2) You’re genuinely just one of the lucky ones who doesn’t let this awful system get to them. And, for your sake, I genuinely hope it’s the latter!

Don’t worry about what’s normal and what’s not. In any event, everyone interprets and responds to exams differently. It’s a good thing that you’re calm. You’ll probably be more receptive to learning and do better ultimately, and GCSEs aren’t always the be all and end all!

All the best.

Thanks I hope so too!! Gonna start revising in Easter so let’s see what happens
I had your attitude last year OP, then the panic set it (around the start of May) O.o Its good to be chill, take advantage and get work done in advance - nothing extreme like not celebrating your birthday - just do light revision and build it up as exam season approaches. The worst part about GCSE's imo is the wait for your results after they're completed, don't be thinking "I could have tried harder" during the summer, just stay chill (like you are now) and get the revision done bit by bit.
(edited 6 years ago)
hey! i feel pretty similar tbh; i thought i'd be sick with nerves but it's not really getting to me, probably because i'm throwing some of my nervous energy into revision/ finishing the courses aha. also, a lot of my friends are freaking out so the 'mom friend' override is helping me help them as a distraction. mocks went really well for me so i'm grasping onto that (and positive visualisation) to get me through! the weird thing is that my body reacts really badly to even the slightest jitters- i get headaches almost daily, but they get worse when i'm (supposed to be) nervous. in some of my mocks it's happened too- i'm 100% calm on the inside, but my body is shaking or ready to throw my guts up! i really need to find a way to control it, especially since mentally it's not such a huge issue for me. anyway, good luck with all your exams/ revision!! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by honeyofcourse
hey! i feel pretty similar tbh; i thought i'd be sick with nerves but it's not really getting to me, probably because i'm throwing some of my nervous energy into revision/ finishing the courses aha. also, a lot of my friends are freaking out so the 'mom friend' override is helping me help them as a distraction. mocks went really well for me so i'm grasping onto that (and positive visualisation) to get me through! the weird thing is that my body reacts really badly to even the slightest jitters- i get headaches almost daily, but they get worse when i'm (supposed to be) nervous. in some of my mocks it's happened too- i'm 100% calm on the inside, but my body is shaking or ready to throw my guts up! i really need to find a way to control it, especially since mentally it's not such a huge issue for me. anyway, good luck with all your exams/ revision!! :biggrin:

Haha I get kinda nervous about exams as well, especially oral exams for languages (the worst)! I’m always scared I’m gonna have a mind blank or speak the wrong language or something. Good luck with your revision as well!!
ME wtf idc idc
Original post by bluemuffin
Haha I get kinda nervous about exams as well, especially oral exams for languages (the worst)! I’m always scared I’m gonna have a mind blank or speak the wrong language or something. Good luck with your revision as well!!

oh, orals are the worst 100%! in my french mock my teacher got really concerned because i was trembling so much, but i ended up getting 78% (and 86% in my spanish!), which really wasn't awful considering. i'm sure you'll be okay though, just make sure you put enough effort into revision and try your best! it's really not the end of the world if you blank a little, everyone does! i had to skip 2 questions in my spanish mock and i messed another up, but i got a decent grade! just soldier on :wink2: you can do it!!
Original post by yourgyalsmcm
ME wtf idc idc

I see you banging out 9s tho
Original post by lmaooome
I see you banging out 9s tho

yeah ima try pattern 9s

Tbh I want 8 9s and 1 8, but I know you banged out bmt
Original post by yourgyalsmcm
yeah ima try pattern 9s

Tbh I want 8 9s and 1 8, but I know you banged out bmt

I’d be so gassed for you, loool I’ll start boasting that I know someone clever
Original post by lmaooome